12012 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Disappointed at working well under my capacity and capability

Former Employee - IT Executive  in  London, England (UK)
Former Employee - IT Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Can be well paid. There can be opportunities to move and expand experience.
It is very collegial, and they do take good care of people especially in an emergency or crisis.
The company does do a very good job of communicating with people the state of the business, current issues and plans.

Cons

The culture is all embracing ad overwhelming. It is fundamentally run by Finance, with sales people being revered. Working internally as I did is neither appreciated or valued. I worked for a global team for years yet it never met in person due to a complete ban on travel expense for internal people. In 8 years I never did any training, never met any clients, never was able to go to any trade shows (even IBM run ones). There are no doubt some excellent managers and leaders though unfortunately I never worked for any. A lot of the people there joined as graduates and have only ever worked for IBM - these people occupy most if not all of the senior roles.

There is not much point giving advice to management - the firm has been around 100 years and is very set in its ways, especially on how it manages and motivates people.

Other Reviews for IBM

My experience in IBM

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn on certain subjects & most suited for specialist , not a place for a generalist as each of the jobs are super specialization by them selves.

Cons

Generalists have to go through a lot of unlearning, Confusing and people are not friendly at times

Make IBM less depend on the manager especially the HR part as its serving no one except the managers themselves.

It's an okay company

Current Employee - Software Sales  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Sales in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

ability to work from home, job stability, able to change jobs every two years

Cons

extremely under paid, long hours, working evenings and weekends, poor work/life balance, high turn over rate.

make your employees happy, they will work hardier for you in return.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!