IBM

www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

IBM does not pay well if you work your way up the ranks

Former Employee - Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at home. Challenging projects.

Cons

Constant worry about being laid off because they move so many jobs off shore. Raises are far and few between and pretty lean. Plan to work 12-14 hour days and weekends. No work/life balance.

Reward employees for their experience and contributions. If you promote someone let their salary reflect that. Peers shouldn't be paid according to their job title and their contributions. When I worked at IBM I was probably making 50% less than my peers because I worked my way up to be a project manager but I always out performed my peers.

12787 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Absence of face to face meetings impede business effectiveness and demoralize employees

Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many different types of jobs to choose from giving chance to explore opportunities all within the same company

Cons

Employees receive no relocation when move from one job to another within company, there is no such thing as a travel budget, and virtual management impedes development of relationships to get things done. IBM management has no sense of the employee other than their deliverables. Many of programs and benefits within IBM are never used because managers have little "sense" or view of employee (which can only be gotten face to face) beyond narrow sliver of work they happen to be doing.

Meet face to face with any potential employee, even when hired from within. Budget for two face to face meetings per year for all teams working together. Budget for two face to face meetings per year between manager and employee. Respect employees with the decency and grace they are due by never firing by phone or email. Aforementioned budgets should be sacrosanct.

IBM BAO - Not the IBM you knew before

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Good PTO, medical and leaves. 401 k isnt good anymore as they match only after Dec 15th of every year.
    -A+++consultants. Loads of stuff to learn from your peers.
    -Free trainings and self learning materials.

Cons

-Difficult to get raise, bonus or promotion
    -the Resource deployment managers are rude and never consider you for local projects
    -no actual communication with your company manager

-better appraisal methods
    -People need to get promoted to be motivated to work.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM