IBM

www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great opportunity to learn and grow professionally

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Technical Lead in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for 2 Years at IBM and was very satisfied with the work and the overall work culture. They give you good responsibility and make you learn new stuff as it comes along. Very demanding on deadlines but I guess thats common in every workplace.

Cons

micromanagement and they don't care about teams unity.They made more than 1 people as lead for same project that leads to confusion and demotivates the team.

Dont micromanage, Have trust in your team. Don't appoint 2 captains to steer one ship

12665 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

No future for American employees / keep your CV up-to-date

Current Employee - Non-Direct in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Non-Direct in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexibility, still some good lower level managers

Cons

Absolutely no opportunities for US employees. Constant layoffs. Constant THREAT of layoffs. Bogus evaluation system to move US employees out of the business and not give raises or bonus. Forced evaluation skews that managers must adhere to or else.

Layoffs every year, sometimes twice a year. I've seen folks get laid off, but are extended to meet customer demand. Threat of no severance if employees don't comply.

HR is totally useless. The employee services center is the go-to place for employees to get HR answers (except for Fidelity Services) The ESC center is of course off shored someplace and give out wrong answers and read from a script . HR Partners in the US are only for management team and to help make a case against employees.

GBS is body shop and once your skills aren't needed, you're out the door. Don't make your utilization target (through no fault of your own), you'll get a 3 performance rating. Get two of those and bye-bye.

The senior executive team is decimating the U.S workforce. Executives bonus are calculated on profit. Employees on revenue. Executives have 'contracts' and a different retirement. It's a RARE executive that gets laid off. The lower band executives kowtow to the higher bands. The senior executives say Jump! and the lower bands say how high.

The senior execs are cleaning up like bandits. They won't change until this once great company is beaten into the ground. Read "I, Cringley" take on IBM

If you are in the US, do NOT consider working for IBM

Current Employee - IT Person in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Person in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Travel. Working from home (depending on what group you are hired on with). This is my second review for the same company (did one about a year ago).

Cons

I have never worked at a company that has so little respect for their employees. Nothing you do is ever enough and as an IT person, we are held accountable to meet expectations from the business, who changes their requirements daily, with no change control and no pushback from IT leadership. I haven't spoken to the person who I am told is my manager in over 4 months (until I recently Sametimed him to let him know that I cannot work 24 hours a day). At IBM, you have managers on paper, but zero leadership or direction. Any direction you receive is at the project level and not at an HR level. You are just a tool, a soldier, and expected to work harder and harder, for less and less of a reward as the execs continue to line their pockets with bonuses for record profits (which do not trickle down in ANY way to US employees). I'm sure the reviews are skewed higher by employees from other countries which IBM is heavily investing in. In addition, you might see lots of jobs out there, so that it appears IBM is hiring. This is NOT true. They are trying to hire people in at lower salaries to do the same work, and will expect you to work from a "delivery center", so that they can lay off a loyal tenured employee who remembers how things used to be. Before considering a job at IBM, search the web for IBM employee comments. There are a few websites out there devoted to it, although I am not sure if I am allowed to list them here.

It's too late, management has no interest in hearing from their employees. The laughable "JAM" that recently happened (Which we were ordered to sign up for) was basically just a pep rally talking about how they can get more business and how great everyone's IBM manager is.... and how ethical the company is and how great their values are. It reminded me of some churches I belonged to growing up.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM