No future for American employees / keep your CV up-to-date

Current Employee - Non-Direct in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Non-Direct in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexibility, still some good lower level managers

Cons

Absolutely no opportunities for US employees. Constant layoffs. Constant THREAT of layoffs. Bogus evaluation system to move US employees out of the business and not give raises or bonus. Forced evaluation skews that managers must adhere to or else.

Layoffs every year, sometimes twice a year. I've seen folks get laid off, but are extended to meet customer demand. Threat of no severance if employees don't comply.

HR is totally useless. The employee services center is the go-to place for employees to get HR answers (except for Fidelity Services) The ESC center is of course off shored someplace and give out wrong answers and read from a script . HR Partners in the US are only for management team and to help make a case against employees.

GBS is body shop and once your skills aren't needed, you're out the door. Don't make your utilization target (through no fault of your own), you'll get a 3 performance rating. Get two of those and bye-bye.

Advice to Management

The senior executive team is decimating the U.S workforce. Executives bonus are calculated on profit. Employees on revenue. Executives have 'contracts' and a different retirement. It's a RARE executive that gets laid off. The lower band executives kowtow to the higher bands. The senior executives say Jump! and the lower bands say how high.

The senior execs are cleaning up like bandits. They won't change until this once great company is beaten into the ground. Read "I, Cringley" take on IBM

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. benefits are eroding every year

I have been working at IBM

Pros

flexible work arrangements, family oriented

Cons

they don't pay 401k anymore until the end of the year, so if they lay you off or you leave, you don't get a penny
    low salary

Advice to Management

quit chipping away at all our benefits

2. Great opportunity to learn and grow professionally

Former Contractor - Technical Lead in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Technical Lead in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for 2 Years at IBM and was very satisfied with the work and the overall work culture. They give you good responsibility and make you learn new stuff as it comes along. Very demanding on deadlines but I guess thats common in every workplace.

Cons

micromanagement and they don't care about teams unity.They made more than 1 people as lead for same project that leads to confusion and demotivates the team.

Advice to Management

Dont micromanage, Have trust in your team. Don't appoint 2 captains to steer one ship