There are newer employer reviews for IBM

No future for American employees / keep your CV up-to-date

Current Employee - Non-Direct  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Non-Direct in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits, flexibility, still some good lower level managers

Cons

Absolutely no opportunities for US employees. Constant layoffs. Constant THREAT of layoffs. Bogus evaluation system to move US employees out of the business and not give raises or bonus. Forced evaluation skews that managers must adhere to or else.

Layoffs every year, sometimes twice a year. I've seen folks get laid off, but are extended to meet customer demand. Threat of no severance if employees don't comply.

HR is totally useless. The employee services center is the go-to place for employees to get HR answers (except for Fidelity Services) The ESC center is of course off shored someplace and give out wrong answers and read from a script . HR Partners in the US are only for management team and to help make a case against employees.

GBS is body shop and once your skills aren't needed, you're out the door. Don't make your utilization target (through no fault of your own), you'll get a 3 performance rating. Get two of those and bye-bye.

The senior executive team is decimating the U.S workforce. Executives bonus are calculated on profit. Employees on revenue. Executives have 'contracts' and a different retirement. It's a RARE executive that gets laid off. The lower band executives kowtow to the higher bands. The senior executives say Jump! and the lower bands say how high.

The senior execs are cleaning up like bandits. They won't change until this once great company is beaten into the ground. Read "I, Cringley" take on IBM

11597 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

IBM's vision of deeper skills and higher margin services is good, but the implemenation is poor

Current Employee - STSM  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - STSM in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

IBM is a vast company that includes numerous lines of business: finding something of interest is almost always possible; there are a lot of highly qualified and dedicated individuals with whom to work;

Cons

IBM's senior management and executive staff's focus on the so-called 2015 plan (US$20/EPS), and so-called shareholder value and the policies resulting from that reinforce the view within the engineering community of IBM's lack of care about its employees; 2012's change in (IBM US) 401K policy is merely the latest in a long line of insults to its employees; shareholders love IBM; almost no employee I speak with enjoys working at this company.

What do we (rank-and-file) employees see? We see an executive staff that has increased their options and share ownership (reducing income tax bite) while non-executive staff have not seen the increases in pay (or other compensation) and an increasingly brutal culture that shows blatant disregard for these same employees while paying mere lip service to the idea of a positive culture.

At least strive for integrity: if you are going to maintain that you are going to be a shareholder driven company, then stop claiming that you are creating a culture that values employees (and these latest exercises of mandatory "Jams" are so reminiscent of "Office Space" as to consider the executive team that thought them up to be hopelessly out of touch with their workforce).; if, on the other hand, you are going to create a company that values its employees and client relationships, then, that needs to be followed through with finances: increases in resources (i.e., more employees), increases in salaries, returning benefits lost over the past decade, etc.

If you are in the US, do NOT consider working for IBM

Current Employee - IT Person  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Person in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Travel. Working from home (depending on what group you are hired on with). This is my second review for the same company (did one about a year ago).

Cons

I have never worked at a company that has so little respect for their employees. Nothing you do is ever enough and as an IT person, we are held accountable to meet expectations from the business, who changes their requirements daily, with no change control and no pushback from IT leadership. I haven't spoken to the person who I am told is my manager in over 4 months (until I recently Sametimed him to let him know that I cannot work 24 hours a day). At IBM, you have managers on paper, but zero leadership or direction. Any direction you receive is at the project level and not at an HR level. You are just a tool, a soldier, and expected to work harder and harder, for less and less of a reward as the execs continue to line their pockets with bonuses for record profits (which do not trickle down in ANY way to US employees). I'm sure the reviews are skewed higher by employees from other countries which IBM is heavily investing in. In addition, you might see lots of jobs out there, so that it appears IBM is hiring. This is NOT true. They are trying to hire people in at lower salaries to do the same work, and will expect you to work from a "delivery center", so that they can lay off a loyal tenured employee who remembers how things used to be. Before considering a job at IBM, search the web for IBM employee comments. There are a few websites out there devoted to it, although I am not sure if I am allowed to list them here.

It's too late, management has no interest in hearing from their employees. The laughable "JAM" that recently happened (Which we were ordered to sign up for) was basically just a pep rally talking about how they can get more business and how great everyone's IBM manager is.... and how ethical the company is and how great their values are. It reminded me of some churches I belonged to growing up.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!