There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Good company to get a strong foundation but can be limiting in growth opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I worked at IBM

Pros

Exposure to a global workforce environment, the ability to have many careers within one company, the ability to work and learn from a lot of smart people

Cons

the higher you go in your career, the more time you spend on internal process and procedure.
Process and procedure sometimes prevents you from being able to perform at a level that will gain you the recognition you need for advancement, job functions can be very siloed and sometimes makes it difficult to work across functions as not everyone sees the big picture

Less internal reporting and better communication from marketing leadership.

11849 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

I built sales pipeline for a software company acquired by IBM in 2006.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM

Pros

In a sales function, the name IBM certainly opens doors with prospective clients; they're more willing to listen. There is more than enough training in all aspects: function, product, industry. I enjoyed and miss working with smart and dedicated professionals. Direct management that I experienced was fair and reasonable. Lots of fun networking opportunities in major cities.

Cons

Things move relatively slow in a large organization and consequently enthusiasm can lose steam. On the other hand, a recent reorganization in sales and marketing swiftly cut thousands of positions. Once hired, if you want to stay with IBM, learn as much as possible, keep your eyes and ears open, and network like crazy to secure your next position.

I appreciated the opportunity to work at IBM, and I hope I'm given another opportunity to work there again in the future.

Long term employee...recently retired

Former Employee - Program Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM

Pros

None...Used to be a great company to work for but not any longer.

Cons

Pay raises of 1% or 2% every few years drives newer employees away. Unfortunately the respect for the individual that was IBM's creed has vanished. Used to be the Flagship company to work for however now just another large multinational that most new hires stay on for 5 years and then move on.

Salary plan is so skewed to the executive level that the execs have lost touch with the folks that really keep the business running..

There are newer employer reviews for IBM