There are newer employer reviews for IBM

As it is such a large company, you really must manage your own career.

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big network of New hires, get to move around to different projects, teleworking, and lots of resources and free education opportunities.

Cons

Consulting for the government, working at a computer for 9 hours a day, and being at the client site.

Advice to Management

IBM's upper management doesn't exactly care for people who have been with IBM for less than 3 years.

reviews filtered by
  1. Worked at IBM for many years

I have been working at IBM

Pros

You can do nearly anything at IBM... if you work hard and keep your skills current, you can work there for a long time, and change careers in house.

Cons

Over the years, the company has been whittling away benefits, and driving growth through expense cutting. They are also continuing to cut the US workforce.

Misogynist place: bad place for women

Former Intern - Researcher in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Researcher in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The setting was nice and quite.

Cons

I worked in two different groups as intern. Both in Almaden. In both cases the mentors treated me really bad because I was a woman.
    In the first I have been explicitly told to "bend over and please my boss so he can dump all his frustration on me".
    The second kept insisting that since I am a woman I should stay home and have babies instead of working.
    In both cases they stole my work, meaning they showed it to upper management as their own work saying I didn't do anything.
    In both cases they felt uncomfortable that a woman was better than them and tried to overpower her with their authorities.
    I don't even want to hear the name IBM now, and prefer to die of starvation that to work for that company.

Advice to Management

Use better methods to see the situation of employee, especially women. Don't put misogynist with a record of bad behavior towards women in a position to hire and manage women.