There are newer employer reviews for IBM

I built sales pipeline for a software company acquired by IBM in 2006.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM

Pros

In a sales function, the name IBM certainly opens doors with prospective clients; they're more willing to listen. There is more than enough training in all aspects: function, product, industry. I enjoyed and miss working with smart and dedicated professionals. Direct management that I experienced was fair and reasonable. Lots of fun networking opportunities in major cities.

Cons

Things move relatively slow in a large organization and consequently enthusiasm can lose steam. On the other hand, a recent reorganization in sales and marketing swiftly cut thousands of positions. Once hired, if you want to stay with IBM, learn as much as possible, keep your eyes and ears open, and network like crazy to secure your next position.

I appreciated the opportunity to work at IBM, and I hope I'm given another opportunity to work there again in the future.

11881 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Great place for the complacent

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM has been around longer than any other IT company and for good reason -- it hires some of the best and brightest people in the industry, and the senior management isn't completely dumb. Benefits of working at IBM include great flexibility (results-oriented environment), liberal view of technologies (you can bring your own Mac or smartphone to use at work, and no websites are ever blocked), and a decent benefits package including automatic 401k contribution, 100% match up to 6%, and free access to financial planners. The senior management hasn't completely screwed up -- the company is turning a healthy profit and those who haven't been laid off have not seen a salary cut.

Cons

This isn't your father's IBM. There's no paternal feeling anymore where the company would take care of the employees from cradle to grave. The pension is gone. Salary is middle of the road. Promotions, for young people, are hard to come by due to lack of attrition by older workers. To be a rock star, you really have to have a "sponsor" and be in the right place at the right time.

Pinning people down in the lower bands is going to bite management in the rear once the job market starts recovering.

Long term employee...recently retired

Former Employee - Program Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM

Pros

None...Used to be a great company to work for but not any longer.

Cons

Pay raises of 1% or 2% every few years drives newer employees away. Unfortunately the respect for the individual that was IBM's creed has vanished. Used to be the Flagship company to work for however now just another large multinational that most new hires stay on for 5 years and then move on.

Salary plan is so skewed to the executive level that the execs have lost touch with the folks that really keep the business running..

There are newer employer reviews for IBM