There are newer employer reviews for IBM

I built sales pipeline for a software company acquired by IBM in 2006.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM

Pros

In a sales function, the name IBM certainly opens doors with prospective clients; they're more willing to listen. There is more than enough training in all aspects: function, product, industry. I enjoyed and miss working with smart and dedicated professionals. Direct management that I experienced was fair and reasonable. Lots of fun networking opportunities in major cities.

Cons

Things move relatively slow in a large organization and consequently enthusiasm can lose steam. On the other hand, a recent reorganization in sales and marketing swiftly cut thousands of positions. Once hired, if you want to stay with IBM, learn as much as possible, keep your eyes and ears open, and network like crazy to secure your next position.

I appreciated the opportunity to work at IBM, and I hope I'm given another opportunity to work there again in the future.

11556 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Long term employee...recently retired

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM

Pros

None...Used to be a great company to work for but not any longer.

Cons

Pay raises of 1% or 2% every few years drives newer employees away. Unfortunately the respect for the individual that was IBM's creed has vanished. Used to be the Flagship company to work for however now just another large multinational that most new hires stay on for 5 years and then move on.

Salary plan is so skewed to the executive level that the execs have lost touch with the folks that really keep the business running..

Frustrated with affirmative action

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The best reason to work for IBM is it's a company everyone has heard of and will look good on your resume when apply for a new job.

Cons

In the area where I work IBM has pushed affirmative action too far. There are all kinds of support groups for women and minorities, and if you are a woman or a minority you can expect someone in upper management to mentor you and help you get promoted. If you are a white man, good luck. A minority doing the same level of work as a white man can expect to be at least one band higher if not more.

IBM needs to focus more on merit based promotions and merit based pay. It's very frustrating to be doing the same level of work as someone at a higher band level and have no chance of a promotion simply because you're the wrong gender or ethnicity.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!