There are newer employer reviews for IBM

I built sales pipeline for a software company acquired by IBM in 2006.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM

Pros

In a sales function, the name IBM certainly opens doors with prospective clients; they're more willing to listen. There is more than enough training in all aspects: function, product, industry. I enjoyed and miss working with smart and dedicated professionals. Direct management that I experienced was fair and reasonable. Lots of fun networking opportunities in major cities.

Cons

Things move relatively slow in a large organization and consequently enthusiasm can lose steam. On the other hand, a recent reorganization in sales and marketing swiftly cut thousands of positions. Once hired, if you want to stay with IBM, learn as much as possible, keep your eyes and ears open, and network like crazy to secure your next position.

I appreciated the opportunity to work at IBM, and I hope I'm given another opportunity to work there again in the future.

reviews filtered by
  1. na

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM is a good place to work. There is good deal of respect for employees except when it comes to the resource actions. In many parts of the company you get the opportunity to change jobs every 2-3 years and that helped maintain my interest and keep me challenged. Also, if you get a manager that you don't like very well you can be pretty sure that you or they will move before too long.

Cons

The lack of promotions. You need to want to work a lot of hours - this isn't a 9-5 place.

You might have considered "taking the higher road" and not had such huge resource actions and moving so many jobs overseas at a time when the US economy was tanking... You should also review your downsizing policies. In the actions of 2009, the policies allowed a number of top performers go.

2. Disaster Recovery

Former Employee - Disaster Recovery Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Disaster Recovery Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at IBM

Pros

1. Be on the forefront of new, leading edge technologies
    2. Ability to travel to client sites
    3. Flexibility
    4. Good work life balance
    5. Interesting projects
    6. Ability to grow/learn

Cons

Salary adjustment - moving from state to state, they would not increase according to cost of living because I initiated the move.

Keep continuing to mentor and bring new leaders (from within the organization), giving those deserving a chance to succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM