Best Company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - IT Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, Well known company, work from home + travel

Cons

Resource Actions (Layoffs), Constant pressure to do more with less.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

IBM Has Become Disconnected From What Made It Great

Former Employee - Program Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at IBM (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBM name still carries a lot of prestige. Flexible work schedule, a great perk of the job, I was always able to come and go as needed. Unlimited sick days, albeit at management's discretion. Good benefits, but this is changing. For example, 401K match is now payed yearly not monthly, and you will lose your match if laid of before Jan 01. Room for advancement, I started at the bottom and worked my way to a senior position.

Cons

Often times IBM is their own worst obstacle to success. Frequent layoffs mean increased work loads in a depressing atmosphere. Too many layers of upper management. Employees not valued for their contributions. C Level executives often more focused on their own career than the health of the company.

Advice to Management

IBM was once a company who understood, long term profitability and value is not achieved by hiring a bunch of Harvard MBAs to maxmize next quarters profits, but is based on the common sense formula of: keeping expenses low; putting the customer first by fulfilling their needs with best in class products, and exceeding their expectations with world class service. An organization that realizes good things happen when they maximize their employee's productivity, commitment, and loyalty through clear goals and objectives, honest and honorable dealings, trust and autonomy to take risks and make decisions, respect, fair wages, good healthcare and benefits, and continuing education and development Since Lou Gerstner, who arguably saved the company, the culture of Think and Respect for the Individual has dwindled to a shadow of what it once was. The current CEO Virginia Rometty and most C Level Execs are out of touch salesmen, focused solely on next quarter's sales numbers, and understanding little of what it takes to create great products and services. In a recent conference call to employees, Ms. Rometty blamed IBM's 1Q13 drop in earnings on employees for being 'too slow". Ironic when you consider IBM’s internal plan to grow earnings-per-share (EPS) to $20 by 2015. The plan which assumes the primary method for accomplishing this feat is reducing the US employee head count by 78 percent. In my opinion this is the mark of the poorest kind of leader, and does not bode well for IBM's future. My advice, decide what kind of company do you want to be, a top heavy, minimally staffed organization, focused on solely share price, or an innovator and leader in creating products and services, who cares for the contributions of their employees and is focused on long term steady growth.

Good People

Current Employee - Program Director in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Program Director in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership Development, great people, excellent work-life balance.

Cons

Shrinking Hardware division, Very low new hire rate in the US,

Advice to Management

Decrease the number of levels between the CEO and the engineer. Do we really need more than Engineer - Manager - Director - VP - SVP- EVP-CEO. IBM research has that kind of flat layering and seems to work well. Maybe we should do it everywhere.