There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Challenging project and helpful workmates

Current Employee - Summer Internship in Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Summer Internship in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Project is very challenging and exciting. And people here give me a lot of advice and help to start up. Get opportunity to meet people from different fields.

Cons

The lunch at workplace needs to be improved. Both quality and price doesn't match the name of this company.

11915 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Good place for an internship, not good for a career.

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits is competitive.
    It's a good opportunity for interns or contractors who are not looking for permanent employment.

Cons

Always worried about layoffs regardless of performance. Resource actions occur regardless of whether we meet our sales and profit goals.

Cost-cutting is ridiculous. Hardware for developers is underpowered and must last for a minimum of 4 years. You are not allowed to purchase and use your own hardware either. It's very difficult being productive with the resources given.

Perks have long ago been eliminated...you have to even pay for coffee through vending machines.

Employee morale is awful. Many high-performing employees have left for other opportunities, taking valuable knowledge with them. Software quality is suffering, and many customers are dissatisfied.

The general mood is that upper-management does not care about their employees at all, and only see us as numbers in an expense column. Nothing is more important than profit margin targets. Even declining revenue doesn't seem to be concerning. It feels like IBM executives are engaging in a pump-and-dump scheme. Long-term viability of the company seems uncertain.

Stop using marketing-lingo and spin on employees when taking away perks and benefits. We're smart people and can see through the lingo. It comes off as insulting to our intelligence.

Be honest about what your intentions are. If you're planning on eliminating your permanent U.S. headcount by 2015, tell us so that we can look for other opportunities.

Which side of IBM do you work for?

Current Employee - UNIX Administrator in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - UNIX Administrator in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work to do, I have a good manager and he has a pretty good manager and he has a pretty good manager and he has an OK manager, and they all recognize someone who is good at their job.

Cons

You notice I mentioned there are four layers of management noticeably interacting with the technical team? Also one of the downsides of such a big company is you might not get a job one of the good managers. From that, it's almost like working for a different company. HR is a big iron wall that nobody seems to be able to move one way or the other.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a better way to do it. It sucks to work at a company that regularly fires and then hires thousands of people at a time, but that might be the only way to turn out the problem employees, but it's not like congregating with ex-employees is encouraged.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM