There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Growth oriented, plenty of opportunity to explore various areas of interest within the company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dubuque, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

More career and growth oriented.

Cons

They hire poor talent for low pay.

Increase salaries to attract better talent.

11597 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

IBM Global Services, US

Former Employee - Executive Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very smart and capable peers. Work is typically challenging when you find the right gig. Getting exposed to different companies and industries is rewarding.

Cons

Very Utilization driven. As long as you know the rules, you should be OK. No training (OJT), systems needed to get your work done typically have to be "baked into the deal" with the customer. Travel (Mo-Fr, Typically 100%), IBM used to be "Ive been moved" .. now its more like "I'm by myself"

Touch base with employees often. Out of sight does not need to mean out of mind.

get into company through acquisition

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1. Very big company has lots of resource if you know how to reach them.
    2. Various types of projects to move around within the company.
    3. Very smart professional and good management team knows how to integrate the companies through acquisition to make the best out of them. In one of my previous company, they failed on this almost every company they bought in.
    4. Good salary

Cons

1.Company is so big that you may get lose of what you can get out of the best.
    2.The ESPP is only 5% discount for employee compared to 15% discount ESPP from most of the other company.
    3.I have back pain for years and don't want to take pain killer any more. I heard acupuncture and massage help. But the company insurance make it almost impossible to use. The policy is that the Chinese acupuncture clinic has to be part of western medical clinic which is nearly impossible to fine. Many friends in Cisco went to massage 3 time a week, even their spouse!

1. Regarding benefit, the company is more shareholder friendly than its own employees.

2. Examples as the 5%ESPP and insurance plan I mentioned on Cons.

3. This year is the first year that I felt the company are willing to invest on their employees through proper formal training since the CEO make it happen at the beginning of 2013. That really help the increasing my knowledge and productivities. I bet customers see the difference of the employees knowledge and qualities too. Even we miss the earning 2Q13, I hope the training keeps go the way I see this year.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!