IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great time wish they altered there stance on reassignment

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great people, great technologies. This was a great place to work. Allowed for growth in professional arena. First manager was amazing. He understood the work load and he worked for us.

Cons

hours are not best, sometimes the expectations of the road warrior is such that it puts us in danger. personal manager was not versed in what the team actually did. This appeared to be a thing of put them in place to fail but at our expense.

learn the position you manage. one manager knew what the field team dealt with but new manager did not take time to find out what and why things were done in the way they were.

12337 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Good company to work for

Former Employee - IT Security Services Sales
    Former Employee - IT Security Services Sales

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities, access to big clients, complex and interesting projects, ability to work remotely, increasingly better collaboration tooling

Cons

Slow / old process, heavy work load, 401K match payment moved to end of year, poor training for new team members, slow to move to cloud and slow to adopt new bus. models. Very risk averse.

Better strategy for cloud, faster acquisition schedule, more focus on training

The best of times, the worst of times

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Huge network, ability to move around within the company. Mostly great people. Predictable culture. Rewarded with promotions for exercising my passion, following my interests. Have to admire a company that knows how to sustain itself for decades.

Cons

Exasperating organizational infighting and agendas are to be expected within this vast company, despite a facade of collaboration. I wish it seemed genuine. Workload increasing too steadily to work on career advancement. Seeing I will have to sell my work-life balance to reach the next level. Fear I'll be politely shuffled out the door in 10 years anyway, for costing too much.

Open your eyes to what's going on among your areas. It might not be beneficial to the company as a whole.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM