IBM

www.ibm.com

Sometimes the easy things are the hardest to comprehend

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsWhen I started at IBM, I was a young overwhelmed employee and kept wondering why IBM hired me. Through the early years, I felt I was a contributor to the business and I was able to quickly get promoted, nice raises, outstanding benefits and had a whole lot of fun while working with top notch people. I was always intrigued by the new and cutting edge stuff coming out and IBM was always good at letting you undertake new challenges and look and move to new opportunities.

ConsThe one thing that always bothered me at IBM was the confusing and complicated bonus payments. Several years ago, I had a manager call a special meeting to go over the new sales plan. It took her about 10 minutes to understand that she did not quite actually understand the basics and she just got back from a 1 day meeting on the subject. She naturally called in the person who actually developed the plan to speak with us. After 30 minutes she even had questions as to why certain things were the way they were and she wrote the thing. Needless to say, it was the hardest thing to understand each year, especially when your quota kept getting changed throughout the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThrough my years, I got to work for the hardware and software divisions and also worked closely with the services division. I put together many large complex deals and it was always amazing to me that each of these divisions had their own agenda, own P&L and made it very difficult to put the pieces of a deal together. This linkage needs to be fixed.

Overall a good place to work, benefits are good (although getting smaller every year), lots of opportunities.

Product Manager (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros: High level of competence at all levels, you really don't run into… Cons: Big, big company, easy to get lost and tough to… Advice to Senior Management: The PBC process is OK, but the promotion/advancement path for many positions… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Consider if you're looking for a long-term place to build a career

I have been working at IBM

Pros: --Global size and reach provides varied possibilities to move around,… Cons: --Size also leads to silo'ed operations, resulting in competing internal teams. --Really difficult… Advice to Senior Management: --Doing a great job (company is growing and very profitable);… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!