There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Sometimes the easy things are the hardest to comprehend

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at IBM

Pros

When I started at IBM, I was a young overwhelmed employee and kept wondering why IBM hired me. Through the early years, I felt I was a contributor to the business and I was able to quickly get promoted, nice raises, outstanding benefits and had a whole lot of fun while working with top notch people. I was always intrigued by the new and cutting edge stuff coming out and IBM was always good at letting you undertake new challenges and look and move to new opportunities.

Cons

The one thing that always bothered me at IBM was the confusing and complicated bonus payments. Several years ago, I had a manager call a special meeting to go over the new sales plan. It took her about 10 minutes to understand that she did not quite actually understand the basics and she just got back from a 1 day meeting on the subject. She naturally called in the person who actually developed the plan to speak with us. After 30 minutes she even had questions as to why certain things were the way they were and she wrote the thing. Needless to say, it was the hardest thing to understand each year, especially when your quota kept getting changed throughout the year.

Advice to Management

Through my years, I got to work for the hardware and software divisions and also worked closely with the services division. I put together many large complex deals and it was always amazing to me that each of these divisions had their own agenda, own P&L and made it very difficult to put the pieces of a deal together. This linkage needs to be fixed.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Enjoying my IBM career with a solid employee focused company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I have enjoyed the past 35 years with IBM due to the nature of the work followed by the professional group of coworkers and a solid management team. The technology growth has been challanging and fun. The workload has been great but the team support has allowed us to meet very aggressive schedules. The sensitivity of the management team has provided me and my family with a balanced life. The benefits package is very good compared to our other competition. My plan is to retire at the end of 2009 with a very rewarding career and a good pension.

Cons

All major companies have areas that could be improved. I have found that the budgeting process for each department and division needs some improvement. Also at times the management team has a tendency to assign more people to do the same job. This could and is being addressed by eliminating redundency. There should also be more skip level meetings with the sr. management team to get a better understanding of the divisions business strategy. This would help the team work toward a common goal.

Advice to Management

Some managers tend to micro manage their areas. I realize they are under the gun and always require information on an hourly basis but they should put more pressure on the team leads or senior people. Have a little more faith in your team.

2. Great place to work and good career opportunities

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM is a great place to work and you will have good career opportunities and more possibilities to grow up the ladder.

Cons

From a compensation perspective, IBM is not a good pay master. I know people making 15 - 20% more that what I make at IBM for the similar job

Advice to Management

Matching the salary structure with the market conditions will be much appreciated. Bonus percentages are good and unbeatable when compared to the market conditions.