IBM Sucks...bad folks!!

Current Employee - IT Project Manager
Current Employee - IT Project Manager

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Team building: You are forced into this situation as there is nothing provided to direct you as an employee to an answer. It does build a skill of self reliance and independence, if you survive

Cons

IBM has outsourced so many divisions, including its own HR department, to India and other countries that customers are lied to in the name of profits. Customer facing positions are being relocated to India and customers are "assured" that they will not be impacted. IBM's greed is so excessive that profit margins are demanded from project managers in the neighborhood of 50%. If you cannot produce those kinds of results, they will find a way to get rid of first, half your staff, then you, then either boggle the job so bad that the customer seeks other service bids, and they gives the impression, "well we tried". The technical staff is core unit the customer sees in most cases. Relationships must be developed to keep these customers happy. IBM has torn apart the service staff to the point of hiring completely unskilled labor for $10-12 hr, while stating the idea that you can guide anyone through this kind of work. WRONG! This unskilled labor is usually a "3rd sub" from a company they spun off a few years ago called Qualixserv, in some cases Manpower. This staff is told that they are not to disclose to the customer that they are not employees. Merely to say that they are "John/Jane Doe for IBM". Project teams are facing customers who are discovering this and demanding that if they cannot provide IBM direct employees that they are not to send anyone to the customer PERIOD. We are preached to on a daily basis that it costs more to generate new business than to retain it. But each day we are encouraged to walk away from our customers, "just under the radar", or lying to the point that it requires the entire team to have several meetings, just to prepare for a meeting with the customer when the s*&% hits the fan.

Advice to Management

The entire executive staff needs to give back every bonus it has received in the past 10 years, and retire. if not, I firmly believe that this previously long respected company will be dissolved in the next 10 years based on poor management models, and the fact that most of the "worker bees" will number 1, for every 6 executive/manager positions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. IBM is good company

I worked at IBM

Pros

I joined IBM because of the variety of job opportunities within the company and it certainly delivered that. During my almost 25 year career, I was in sales, programming, marketing and management. They provided me with paid time off for personal reasons multiple times. Though they laid me off, the separation package was very fair.

Cons

It's a very large company with lots of politics. The best people aren't always the ones promoted to management and executive positions. Communication can be difficult because of the matrix management and, again, politics.

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics and examine the promotion policies. Make sure the best people are promoted, not just the best "talkers" and folks who distort their results.

2. Working at IBM in Calgary

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at IBM

Pros

For one, you are with like-minded peers with similar education levels. There are many resources to help you learn on the job, and you are on the leading edge of knowledge.

Cons

The compensation in Calgary for consulting does not compare well to similar roles in corporations. The other downside is the bonus structure is significantly lacking compared to corporate calgary.

Advice to Management

IBM in Calgary is in a unique position due to proximity to oil and gas industry. Special attention to this group is necessary to not only attract and retain quality employees, but to identify services and offerings that are higher in the value chain compared to IT.