Lotgreat great

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Account Executive in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In my career I got a lot of different opportunities and learned a lot. IBM invested a lot in education and training.

Cons

Bureaucracy has been streamlined some, but still a problem. Too many people involved in key decisions slows things down. Earning not as competitive as other tech companies, but risk also lower and there are other benefits.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on customers and being competitive. That's the only way to survive long term

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

From a great company; to quite possibly the worst...

Pros

Some potential employers might still see IBM as a good thing on your resume; but don't stay too long. Get some experience then jump ship. Get to Intel, TSMC, or Samsung instead down the road...

Cons

Everything else. Worked in Hopewell Junction EF /and Burlington, Vt facility--total over 24 years. RA'd right before my 25th. Excellent reviews, (was a 2+ last year) then RA'd in June with no warning. Blindsided.. Sucker punched...along with many colleagues of mine. The only thing I can think of is it was all about cost this time and many of us were "eligible" to retire; also were heavily penetrated (salary wise) in our band levels. Even though we "earned" those pay raises through the years through very hard work-- in the end it was held against us. And a few younger folks were "sprinkled" in the layoff "mix" as to avoid an age discrimination lawsuit; no doubt. This time around it seems like it was a very carefully crafted scheme from Armonk. Didn't matter those of us that were RA'd were also "key expertise" in our areas. Even fellow PhD's got let go. Sr management probably feels they can get someone off the street do what we do in hardware mfg. @ half the pay like they've done to the IT divisions.. Yeah-good luck with that. In the end the customer suffers and we lose the business. Also the cronyism I've seen through the years was not to be believed as well. I've seen many "screw up" employees cost the business ($) thousands, however since they played a good golf game screw/ 3rd level management, all was swept under the rug. (many of those screw-ups are still there, by the way-missed "yet again" by the June RA) I saw an earlier post about a month ago where someone mentioned the technical expertise of management isn't what it should be. You got that right. I too--have seen managers get "promoted" to run organizations they had no business running since they only had a two year technical (in some cases-no technical) degree; many so called "diplomas" dating from 70's. Must be great @ golf; but why are these managers currently running a big R & D and/ or engineering org? Many do. No wonder companies such as Intel considers IBM hardware completely insignificant. And of course many of these managers made bad decisions through the years and as a result, big costs to the business-yet all covered up once again. This time around however I also find this interesting--until this most recent RA-traditionally managers seemed "exempt" from the layoff list...If you are/were a manager, married to a manager, related to a manager in any way such as a cousin & such-it seemed you were part of that "protected species " of that very prevalent "good 'old boy club"... However this recent RA they actually nailed a few managers, (not many, but a few-quite possibly for the first time) so that tells me "cost" overall was the priority. And with the recent furloughs, (which I've NEVER seen before) it would seem this particular division may be gasping for its last breath anyway. I'm getting the impression "ginney" has a cash flow problem she isn't telling wall street about. When I was RA'd in June, first thing I did was go back to the office; jumped on the laptop and quickly dumped all of my stock; (just before wiping the hard drive). The stock price has dropped further since then. Time will tell...

Advice to Management

No advice would matter.. Status Quo..You've never listened to positive suggestions before, why start now? Keep trying to nail people who want to make a positive difference by painting that bullseye on their back; just as you've always done before. Keep following that pecking order as you've always had and "hope" you won't get RA'd as well.. Maybe some other company will buy the facility and treat the employees better. Hopefully for those that remain; but I don't see anything positive happening in the near future.

Not investing in its own employees

Pros

Good high-tech jobs; lots of wonderful employees

Cons

Upper management only concerned about stock prices Fixation on keeping previous CEO's stock price promise seems to be only principle they live by, even if it means decimating the company's employees and their resources.

Advice to Management

Show concern about employees.