IBM

www.ibm.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to work, but you have to know how to play the politics game

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Test Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM

Pros

You can go as far as you want at IBM. There are so many opportunities to get recognized from a technical standpoint that don't move through your management chain, so nobody can take credit for your work. IBM rewards employees for submitting patents, for presenting ideas that make sense, etc.

Cons

You have to know how to play the politics game. Managers can play favorites, and make sure those favorites are being promoted, getting interesting work assignments, etc. Sometimes the only solution is to punt and look for opportunity under another management chain. Also, IBM still has the "Employee for Life" attitude, and think nothing of keeping an employee at an entry-level position for 5 or more years, and at a staff position for the rest of their careers. In a lot of technology based companies, employees do not stick around 5 years.

Stop giving employees the "we don't have money for raises or variable pay" story, while at the same time collecting the huge performance-based bonuses you do. If we all did well, then we all deserve some reward. That was the agreement when we hired on.

13182 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Not a great place to work or grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Intelligent and great people but some are stagnant in their roles and just passing time!

Cons

Lack of leadership and growth opportunities.

Communicate a common vision, mission to your teams and recognize your top contributes with rewards - monetary or otherwise. Understand what motivates each team member to create passion for the organization!

IBM has its issues, like any company, but has some good qualities, too.

Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM is extremely progressive in work/life balance. You can work at home pretty much whenever you want/need to. The number of sick days is unlimited. There are no timesheets to fill out for most professional workers. Some employees work part time, and parental leave is up to 3 years (unpaid). There is paid parental leave: 6 weeks for new moms, and 2 weeks for new dads. Overall, coworkers are very helpful and willing to go out of their way to help you.

Cons

Long hours tend to be the norm at this company, and some people burn out. The downside to working at home is that sometimes you are expected to be constantly connected. There is a lot of schedule-driven quality (i.e. the schedule is king, and quality falls by the wayside). Worst of all, IBM has very strict transfer rules. You can only transfer to another department with your manager's approval, and sometimes they don't give it. I wanted to transfer from digital design to hardware simulation, and even though the new department knew me very well and wanted me, the process took over 1 year.

Make it easier for people to transfer departments. Remove the requirement that the manager needs to approve the transfer. Some people end up leaving the company because it is just too hard to transfer. Some people want to leave a bad department, but others just want a career tweak (simulation instead of design, for instance). People are lost over this, and it is wasteful. Also, pay more attention to quality than schedules.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM