There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing People, environment. A lot of transparency and opportunities for interns

Cons

Nothing! It was a fantastic experience, Interns are treated extremely well and given actual work responsibilities similar to entry level.

Keep doing what your doing

11955 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Wonderful experience

Former Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very professional Management.
    Good work environment.

Cons

The pay was not that good compared to its competitors.
    Nothing I recall really, it was a great experience for me.

A great corporate culture poisoned by executives

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some very talented people. In hardware development the employee culture is excellent, friendly and helpful.

Cons

The executive strategy hits hard on two fronts: reducing US headcount and focus on EPS. US hiring has been frozen for years, in our are we have few people younger than 40. In a highly technical area you need to keep the pipeline of people coming in, which is not happening. Oversees hires have generally not worked out well, but management cannot change the excutive direction. Focus on EPS at the expense of revenue means that when financial targets are missed, cost cutting is the way to make the EPS targets. We have no discretionary budgets or travel anymore, so layoffs are the only cost cutting method left. So they are doing layoffs even from areas they say are critical and strategic to IBM's future. And of course layoffs are mostly limited to the US workforce. And the stack employee evaluation system (PBC) is not helping anything, but of course that is the executive goal.

I can't tell them anything they don't know. At this point they are clearly doing what they intend to do. What they should do if they want to turn around IBM: Oust Rometti unless she does something good for IBM. Start hiring in the US again. Restore power to local 1st and 2nd line management. Get rid of the PBC system, and use a system that evaluates group performance and allows group self evaluation. Make revenue growth targets vs EPS. Restore a meaningful benefits program. Stop making HR/compensation changes which quite obviously hurt employees. Stop secretive layoffs and HR data. Focus on quality products and services. Restore awards for employee achievements.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM