There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Looks better from the outside looking in.

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM

Pros

Great Brand recognition. Limitless online classes available. Generous travel reimbursements.

Cons

Not a supportive work environment for entry level employee's. No structured mentoring program. Annual performance appraisals are conducted by a manager who you will likely never meet and only speak with once each month.

Advice to Management

Take the time to develop new hires. Most candidates hired by IBM are bright, put them in a situation where they have an opportunity to be successful.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Working for IBM STG

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

- Great technology - Ability to switch and do something new every couple of years - Extensive training opportunities

Cons

- Salaries are not competitive - Lack of motivation and employees recognition from management

Advice to Management

Seams like management is using cost cutting as the only tool to get the numbers every year. This at the expense of Innovation and motivation, things that have characterized IBM through the years. If employees are well paid, and well treated and recognized there will be more productivity and quality as well as innovation. STG is too focus on numbers and not investing in the people. Turn things around and numbers will come. We have great products and professionals, motivate the professionals and treat them well. We will be making more business if we invest in the people that create the products, support them, teach them, and sale them.

Great place to work, but you have to know how to play the politics game

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM

Pros

You can go as far as you want at IBM. There are so many opportunities to get recognized from a technical standpoint that don't move through your management chain, so nobody can take credit for your work. IBM rewards employees for submitting patents, for presenting ideas that make sense, etc.

Cons

You have to know how to play the politics game. Managers can play favorites, and make sure those favorites are being promoted, getting interesting work assignments, etc. Sometimes the only solution is to punt and look for opportunity under another management chain. Also, IBM still has the "Employee for Life" attitude, and think nothing of keeping an employee at an entry-level position for 5 or more years, and at a staff position for the rest of their careers. In a lot of technology based companies, employees do not stick around 5 years.

Advice to Management

Stop giving employees the "we don't have money for raises or variable pay" story, while at the same time collecting the huge performance-based bonuses you do. If we all did well, then we all deserve some reward. That was the agreement when we hired on.