There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Good company to work for when you're starting out

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBM is a stable company to work for. It's not going anywhere, and it's not going to get bought out. You can even transfer between different product teams, although a lot will depend upon the state of business and how good your manager is. IBM tries to solve big problems and you'll encounter a lot of smart people trying to solve complex problems. It's a good company to work for so you can learn from other employees, and usually they're more than willing to help.

Cons

I felt valued as an employee by my manager and my peers. However, at the corporate level, I felt very unappreciated as an employee, e.g. getting rid of the water cooler to save money. IBM's current strategy is acquiring companies and thereby customers to grow. Organic growth is not happening. Now, the focus is about saving money.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees as real people. It's not just the first-level manager's job. It's every executives' job, all the way up to the CEO.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Ccontractor thru Kelly Services, then contract awarded to CCI, they didn't honor terms and conditions of my contract

Current Contractor - Morgan Stanley Desk, Night Supervisor in Boulder, CO
    Current Contractor - Morgan Stanley Desk, Night Supervisor in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

none, except my manager at IBM is fair and treats me like a human being

Cons

Doing work as manager with no pay increase, took night shift was promised hire at IBM, promise was broken, stuck on night shift

Advice to Management

Temp needed termination, he created hostile environment, no action taken because fear of lawsuit, he quit for another job after being written up multiple times

2. You are just a number part of a selling machine. Customer relationships are not valued.

I worked at IBM

Pros

Interesting work done in Research.

Cons

All about selling. That is all that matters. Customer relationships and being a solid business partner are not valued. The quality of the work of some of the employees is very low in respect to other organizations. The population of the poor workers is higher at IBM (in my opinion) than other corporations. The company does not care about it's employees. You are just a number.

Advice to Management

Should be a customer driven org. rather than a porduct driven organization.