IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Too Big

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked on a small team with good people and had the chance to work on some interesting projects. The hours were also flexible.

Cons

The office I worked in was small and disconnected from upper management. Because of that we lacked visibility making it difficult to move up despite performing well.

12317 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Top-heavy, fossilized company whose best days are behind it

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked there 14 years and left on my own
    Very nice, professional and well-qualified employees with significant learning opportunities
    Large network of current and former employees. Still well regarded in the marketplace
    Work at home flexibility can be ideal for your personal situation

Cons

- Little to no opportunity for advancement, unless you are willing to travel 100% or move your family to a developing country.
    - little to no salary growth at all. IBM management makes it clear that you should feel lucky to have a job with Big Blue and are shocked when anyone leaves the Blue Bubble.
    - Doing more with less means that you have more than one job and are barely compensated for your first job
    - Cost cutting and slashing employee benefits are ALL IBM management cares about these days. I would not want to be a customer.
    - The myopic quarter to quarter view that IBM Finance (and therefore IBM Management) takes to meet its EPS numbers and satisfy the Street is stifling any real transformation potential.

You need to steer heavily in the direction of Cloud, Smart Planet and value added services, keep your prices competitive, drop the dead wood executives and business lines (like Strategic Outsourcing) and you may have a chance to dance again. But it's unlikely.

IBM needs to re-invent itself again

Former Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent people working on just about anything you can imagine.

Cons

Increasingly driven by financial targets, declining investment in innovation, growing employee turnover, stress, and frustration.

Delighted customers drive revenue and profit, not relentless focus on cost savings.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM