There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Going downhill for most employees

Current Employee - Information Developer
Current Employee - Information Developer

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible working environment for some of us

Cons

I work with some rather unethical and untalented people. It didn't used to be that way.

Advice to Management

Whatever happened to mgr evaluations by employees? First-line managers are not scrutinized the way they should be, especially with recent changes in mgmt structure. Elimination of second lines means nobody is really watching the first lines, and some of them really need the boot.
Ginni, I'm sorry that you haven't been able to change the culture the way you intended. I was really hoping our first female CEO would rock, but telling stories and chasing wild ducks is not helping me respect you.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

OK company. No confidence.

Current Employee - Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, great work life balance.

Cons

Even though I was a good performer , I was felt like I was going to be let go eventually . Never felt safe. Everyone was demoralized. We made the best of the situation, as future layoffs was out o our hand. I'm sure IBM is going to continue to do well, and eventually let 90% of US employee go.

Advice to Management

Stop downsizing US Headcount.

2. As a long term supplemental I will stay supplemental POS Tech,

Current Contractor - Systems Service Representative
    Current Contractor - Systems Service Representative

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM on resume, Division sold to toshiba POS, Company car and gas card, "Decent pay" and BENEFITS!!!

Im under a long term supplemental contract for a few years. Which saves me from certain IBM changes. Most notably the yearly retirement change. Great people both management and coworkers!

Cons

Company car has gps tracker, decent pay depending on location of tech. Management sometimes give the feeling that techs are disposable, and easily replicable! Pay is ok if you dont have large loans. Growth is not encouraged and o.t has been cut but regardless of what management may say techs are still working o.t due to their ridiculous contracts! The company goals don't reflect the reality of the industry that they have created.

Advice to Management

Management should talk to the employees at the lower level not their managers the actually employees and listen to them. Allow and promote growth and independent solutions from techs to problems and provide achievable goals and not fantasies.