IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Going downhill for most employees

Current Employee - Information Developer
Current Employee - Information Developer

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible working environment for some of us

Cons

I work with some rather unethical and untalented people. It didn't used to be that way.

Whatever happened to mgr evaluations by employees? First-line managers are not scrutinized the way they should be, especially with recent changes in mgmt structure. Elimination of second lines means nobody is really watching the first lines, and some of them really need the boot.
Ginni, I'm sorry that you haven't been able to change the culture the way you intended. I was really hoping our first female CEO would rock, but telling stories and chasing wild ducks is not helping me respect you.

12324 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

OK company. No confidence.

Current Employee - Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, great work life balance.

Cons

Even though I was a good performer , I was felt like I was going to be let go eventually . Never felt safe. Everyone was demoralized. We made the best of the situation, as future layoffs was out o our hand. I'm sure IBM is going to continue to do well, and eventually let 90% of US employee go.

Stop downsizing US Headcount.

I'll Never Put On A Life-Jacket Again

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is spotty and intermittent (depending on week/assignment), but, in general, the 'virtual workforce' telecommuter arrangement helps more than it hurts. Benefits are average (possibly just above-average, though they shrink a little each year). The company is huge -- as in bigger-than-most-military-forces huge -- which means there are many nooks and crannies to explore (new different projects, new different teams/divisions, possibly new different jobs/managers, if you play the transfer game shrewdly). Almost any expense is reimbursable, so long as it isn't blatantly fraudulent, and so long as you cultivate the right relationship with your level-one and level-two managers. Despite all the "company X is leaving" and "company Y is suing" news-traffic, the IBM name does still seem to carry reputation and weight on your resume.

Cons

Employee morale is as bad as I've seen it. Barring (very) occasional chats with one's immediate supervisor(s), an IBM employee basically stands alone within the organization. There is little or no assistance available to find clients or work-placement. There is little or no assistance to meet revenue/utilization targets. There is little or no budget for tools or training. There is little or no 'human element' whatsoever, as higher-management has become laser-focused on short-term financial results to the exclusion of all else.

These 'isolated-by-myself' factors have combined with the '400,000 employee size' dynamics to yield some strange cultural behaviors. Bureaucracy, of course, is rampant; IBM boasts an unending series of you-must-go-to-this-webpage and you-must-fill-out-this-form and you-must-get-this-manager's-approval obstacles, all of which are frustrating, some of which are impassable. It is also possible to 'out-of-sight out-of-mind' yourself into unemployment, if you're not careful (must stay visible, must initiate communications and work-placement(s) so others don't forget your name/face).

Thirdly, and worst, a distasteful herd-of-sheep mentality has manifested: a sort of I'll-keep-my-head-down, I'll-do-the-absolute-minimum, I'll-stay-two-steps-up-from-the-bottom reaction, in the hopes that "it's a big company, they'll find someone else to fire" or "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun the slowest member of the pack so the bear will eat him/her instead." To follow my Quint-and-the-USS-Indianapolis title above, employees are waiting while the sharks circle, never knowing when the next sailor will be bitten, never knowing if/when they will be rescued (or outsourced), no longer holding their heads up high, no longer daring to hope. I fear THIS will eventually kill IBM as we know it today.

The current 'vision' seems to be a futuristic, mechanized, globally-distributed IBM, drawing cheapest resources and lowest tax implications from multiple regions simultaneously, with no cumbersome face-to-face overhead and no personal element in any one location. This model needs to be fundamentally re-examined. A "what we wanted" versus "what we actually got" evaluation will probably reveal wide divergence from this goal-state.

You must (MUST) throttle back (even if only slightly) on momentary financial success, and re-invest in the culture/workforce. This action clearly jars against executive/shareholder expectations, but there's simply no way around it. To continue down this (current) path will yield a downward spiral with shrinking revenues (already spanning 7+ fiscal quarters), discontent customer breaches/lawsuits, mass talent attrition, and progressively tarnished brand/reputation.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM