IBM

www.ibm.com

Used to be good, but now spiralling downward

Solution Architect (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood people, a lot of good people

ConsCompany is too out of balance, becoming unhinged, all focus on Roadmap 2015 has meant everything else is suffering, including its people (sorry, resources). The introduction of the hilariously grotesque GDF system, which plugs into the PBC stack ranking system (both of which are so removed from ensuring and modulating high productivity from a community of above average intelligent people) means everyone is increasingly pitted against each other, which in turn means there is reduced collaboration, increased tension, less team work and an every man (resource) for himself attitude.

These systems would have been thrown out at the highest level if fear wasn't running the
company right at the top. There's a belief that they have to meet certain financial targets, either that or the board members are so greedy and self-serving that they are now devoid of any human empathy so are unable to see that such systems create an environment where everyone from the top of the company down to the lowest levels will develop the same attitudes i.e. one's that are in direct conflict with the natural order of things, and so will sooner or later....no, definitely sooner, stop functioning.

In the last team I was in I heard of one person that had to be talked out of suicide and others that had had to get treatment for stress e.g. anti-anxiety tablets etc, not to mention those off work with various illnesses and the most talented jumping at the opportunity to take redundancy.

The company is screaming out for a radical shake-up. Without one, and while fear and greed are the predominant drivers within the company, then it will end up falling on it's face. The banks all fell flat on their face through this attitude (although nothing much has changed with them since so expect them to fall harder very soon, but thats another story) and I have no doubt the same thing will happen to IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. Elect a board comprising truely intelligent people, not career fools.

Excellent company that I have worked.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I would also like to take back my earlier review I have written for IBM. This is an excellent company. I have joined the company as… Cons: The major cons are, the company has so good work-life balance that you tend to get addicted… Advice to Senior Management: You are the best!! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

My time here has been full of challenges, adventures and some of the best people to work with and for.

Architect (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The people at IBM are some of the best in the world. The size of the company means that you can do just… Cons: The pay structure is generally lower than peer organizations (unless you're an executive). The "pay philosophy" will keep it this way for a long time.… Advice to Senior Management: Get closer to the ground and understand your people. Lofty vision statements and strategies are worth nothing if people don't see how they fit in… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!