Delivery Project Executive for IBM Global Technology Services

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technical knowledge, good corporate trust, always changing, some ability to move around your career within the same company, employees, management is fair.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, declining benefits and pay competitiveness, uncertainty about momentum of the company, highly tops down managed, neutral to negative career development opportunity.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

Test Engineer

Pros

You get paid to work. I have to have 20 words here, but I have no more nice things to say.

Cons

Constant worry about being laid off. Cost cutting measures at every corner. No more innovation. No more time for improvement. Infrastructure is rotting from within.

Advice to Management

By firing good employees you are tarnishing your reputation. I would not recommend a job at IBM to anyone.

The worst contract job ever.

Former Contractor - Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at IBM as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM has a very nice internal IT support line. If something goes wrong with your laptop, you can call someone in a foreign country and they will probably be able to figure out what's wrong with your system.

Cons

Working for IBM may be OK for regular full-time employees, but on a contract basis it was a nightmare. I've worked several contract jobs but IBM was hands-down the absolute worst because it was a three-tiered arrangement. I was contracted by an agency based in India, which provided employees to IBM, and IBM then provided a team of contractors to the end client company. This arrangement meant that I had two management chains: IBM and the end client. (Fortunately, the agency in India didn't pretend to manage their employees.) The direction I received from the on-site IBM manager directly contradicted the instructions from the end-client manager. Not surprisingly, the team had a very high level of attrition and the internal politics were worse than anything I've ever experienced in any professional environment. My strong recommendation is to avoid any contract position with IBM.

Advice to Management

If you want to be in the business of providing contract services then you need to pay attention to the needs of your clients. The on-site IBM management seemed to think they knew what was best for their customers. The IBM managers just got in the way.