IBM

www.ibm.com

11948 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Great experience

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Interesting work, smart coworkers, opportunities for growth. I've had three managers, each of which have been very willing to help me move on to positions that interest me.

Cons

As with any large company, you need to learn to be an advocate for yourself and the good work you do...so you don't get lost in the crowd.

Other reviews for IBM

Used to be great...

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

I hear some people get paid well, that was not the case for me.

Cons

In the 12 years I was at IBM, the company changed drastically. It started with little things (no more free lunches, etc) and eventually ended with major changes ( 401K), which mostly affected us blue collar workers. The morale after the summer 2013 layoffs was infectious and I honestly hated going to work. I combated this by just working from home, but in the end I just saw too many people who didn't care anymore. A lot of people had and still have the "I'm waiting for my [severance] package" mentality, which I will admit, I had for some time as well. I also saw many friends who were laid off, struggle to find jobs and that really bothered me. I spent the better part of six months studying and applying for jobs outside of IBM. I frequently encountered negative comments and stereotypes about IBMers from recruiters, HR personnel, and other engineers. Unfortunately, regardless of your skill set there is a general pessimism towards IBMers. I think the longer your tenure at any company, the more skepticism people will have towards your skill set. Looking back I think I thought the severance package was worth waiting for mainly because I had started to believe what some managers at IBM had instilled in me: fear and self-doubt. Many times when I complained about pay, bonus money, or ratings, I got the good old "you should be happy you have a job". The last one my manager gave me was,"IBM offers a lot of flexibility for you and your family". It is not IBM's responsibility to keep you skilled, but it?s usually good question to ask yourself: can this job/company help me grow professionally? I feel pretty blessed that I left and I think it was a smart move emotionally and professionally. I have encouraged friends to leave as well, but for some that just seems impossible.

I don't think you can right the ship, there are just too many messed up things going on there. I hope the best for all IBMers and hope that I am wrong about IBM. Good Luck IBMers

Once great company plundered into mediocrity

Current Employee - IT Architect
    Current Employee - IT Architect

Pros

I've worked with some of the most intelligent and dedicated individuals in the IT industry. Unfortunately, many have moved on to better companies.

Cons

Employees are treated as commodities. No respect for the individual. Constant threat of layoffs. Salary targets are below industry average. Extremely low employee morale.

Get your act together before you're left with a board of directors and no employees. Unless that is your goal.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!