There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Falling smarter

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Somers, NY
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Somers, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Talented smart people
Loyal peers in face of a company that has not reciprocated

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement in North America
Executives are tone deaf
Limited staff to support clients
Morale horrible
Using outmoded stacked ranking

This advice is really to SVP's since low level exec and line management do not really have any leadership impact and merely are in react mode to save their own jobs. Stop the short term looting of a once great company and invest in the long term focus on customers and employees as an asset instead of liabilities. This may mean actually leading the company and forgoing personal wealth targets. Any company that predicts EPS 5 years in the future is intoxicated on it's own current performance and is just seeking to become an investment tool - not a company. Stop buying back shares to buoy the price and taking profits from your own stock awards, rsu's and bonuses. On demand, smarter planet, big data, watson - stop with phrases and start creating something of value!

11619 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Profit at all costs company.

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large market share in the out sourcing and business consulting arenas. I have been a fulltime employee for 15 years as Senior IT specialist. Initial they gave us great raises, and very affordable benefits. And because of the large market share, it was easy to move to new assignments when contracts ended. But as the saying goes, all good things come to an end

Cons

Things started getting bad about 6 years ago. Raises for long term employees mostly disappeared. some of my colleagues have not had a raise in 7 - 8 years. My cost for insurance for my family went from $180 per month in 2004 to $724 per month in 2013, 289% increase If you are IBM US your days are numbered. A few years ago IBM implemented its plan to reduce US employee head count by 60%. Moving everything to IBM India. I believe they are in year 3 of the 5 year plan. They can get 2 - 3 employees in India, with little to no experience, for the price of one US employee, that had many years of experience. And the work product delivered shows a drastic decline. At one point I actually had to tell an offshore resource who had not added error trapping/handling to a project "because the customer did not ask for it" the it is up to us as professional developers to add it because it is part of industry best practices. Every year when they announce the resource actions (sometimes 2 per year) I hold my breath. I know my days are numbered, because I have 15 years now. Maybe I can get one more year.

Just my 2 cents.

Ms. "Ginni" Rometty needs to change this trend of getting the cheap labor from offshore, or the already diminishing IBM image will crash completely and she and all of the executive board members will be in the job hunt. Of course they will all have a nice multi million dollar severance package, while the displaced employees will get the 2 weeks salary for every 6 months worked severance ( uptto 26 week max)

Very, Very Valuable

Current Employee - PMO Manager for Managed Services  in  Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - PMO Manager for Managed Services in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unmatched Depth of Information and Knowledge

Cons

Hard on Employees by design, Mission and Values not always unified

Find out who you're working for

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!