IBM

www.ibm.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Salespeople should stay away from IBM

Former Employee - Sales Leader in New York, NY
Former Employee - Sales Leader in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Huge Software Portfolio, Terrific Training and Relationship Building Opportunity access to clients with IBM name recognition and ability to learn Internally from highly talented professionals

Cons

Massive Internal conflict between well entrenched highly toxic organizations and agendas, Lack of understanding line of business domains, Very difficult to navigate thru complex process laden self service systems, Very difficult for customers to do business with IBM, and Very difficult for sales people dealing with internal organizations and personalities to help clients

Break up IBM into smaller innovative firms that drive innovation with agility and speed of a start up mindset

13225 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

An American Dow 30 icon when I joined. On several 'sell' lists today. A business without beliefs.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many career path opportunities coupled with the ability to build and develop expertise and skills through internal and client facing activities worldwide. The silo structure offers many career path options and cross silo mobility. That works well if you have the skills and track record of deploying them. Senior management will listen to good ideas but not always responsive. Good place to get the industry tick mark on your CV.

Cons

An extremely complex client facing sales and division structure with many product and strategy overlaps resulting in conflicts of who does/builds/sells what/when and with whom. This can often leave both the clients and employees confused as minions churn about like piranha circling a goat in the Amazon all chasing the same dollar.

The sales compensation structure is too complex. It is overlapping often paying out just for coding a record into someone's domain without ever actually selling anything or even leaving the office. Up to 10 sales people can be paid on the same order. Insane but good money for surfing the order logs.

Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is. They are struggling to redefine the company witness the latest 'cloud' mantra. Much of that is 'me to' versus thought leading. Cloud, mobile and you name it as a service where not invented at IBM. The potential is there to grow but the current hierarchy and competing silo businesses do not promote best practices for optimal corporate development. The cloud business diminishes hardware opportunity, services divisions don't care whose platform they work on, clients are relegated to opportunistic business partners who in turn transfer risk back to IBM whilst taking payment for doing so.

There are organizational pieces that clearly don't fit. Notably the Finance Company should be spun off thereby helping relieving the balance sheet of debt while in one fell swoop making the insane 2015 profit target which is a piece of financial engineering having nothing to do with sales growth. It's really just a bank and in fact competes with banks directly.

HR practices have reverted to archaic impersonal controls, meaningless reviews, mandatory poor performer rankings and a cheapskate clipping of costs/benefits all the while exporting jobs to low wage and low skill markets. IBM long ago stopped being a people company. It has fallen off the best companies to work for league table. IBM suffers from poor morale and needless productivity loss generated by the constant fear of job loss through 'rebalancing'.

I pray for them every night. You should too.

Lead from the board room not the press room. Forget the marketing hype. Grow organic revenue. Provide job security. Return to a client centric sales model. Knock down the silos no matter how difficult. Quit buying companies. Build organically with the pieces in place. Take the short term hit required for long term success. Stop financial engineering. Sell Sell Sell. Get back to Mr. Watson's playbook.

Profit at all costs company.

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large market share in the out sourcing and business consulting arenas. I have been a fulltime employee for 15 years as Senior IT specialist. Initial they gave us great raises, and very affordable benefits. And because of the large market share, it was easy to move to new assignments when contracts ended. But as the saying goes, all good things come to an end

Cons

Things started getting bad about 6 years ago. Raises for long term employees mostly disappeared. some of my colleagues have not had a raise in 7 - 8 years. My cost for insurance for my family went from $180 per month in 2004 to $724 per month in 2013, 289% increase If you are IBM US your days are numbered. A few years ago IBM implemented its plan to reduce US employee head count by 60%. Moving everything to IBM India. I believe they are in year 3 of the 5 year plan. They can get 2 - 3 employees in India, with little to no experience, for the price of one US employee, that had many years of experience. And the work product delivered shows a drastic decline. At one point I actually had to tell an offshore resource who had not added error trapping/handling to a project "because the customer did not ask for it" the it is up to us as professional developers to add it because it is part of industry best practices. Every year when they announce the resource actions (sometimes 2 per year) I hold my breath. I know my days are numbered, because I have 15 years now. Maybe I can get one more year.

Just my 2 cents.

Ms. "Ginni" Rometty needs to change this trend of getting the cheap labor from offshore, or the already diminishing IBM image will crash completely and she and all of the executive board members will be in the job hunt. Of course they will all have a nice multi million dollar severance package, while the displaced employees will get the 2 weeks salary for every 6 months worked severance ( uptto 26 week max)

There are newer employer reviews for IBM