There are newer employer reviews for IBM

I had a long career at IBM, but was affected by a layoff

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Rochester, MN
Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with throughout the company.

Cons

Company reacts to quarterly results with downsizing to meet their 2015 roadmap. There seems to be no long term vision which is resulting in more and more downsizing (right sizing in IBM's terms). Follows the theme of doing more with less.

Advice to Management

Think about how your decisions affect the people in the trenches. If you continue to reduce the workforce at the current rate, there will no one left for management to manage.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Poor return on pension, really, after all my years of service 1%?

Former Employee - Storage Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Storage Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of any, used to be a good resume builder, not anymore.

Cons

Lost their vision. Too much nepotism. Poor pay, too many chiefs, not enough "producing" Indians. A 1% return paid on my pension after all my years of service? Talk about a slap in the face. It was bad enough when you took it away, but with all your profits to only pay 1%? Worthless.

Advice to Management

Keep cutting to the bone and treating your employees like crap. I'm sure you'll land safely with your golden parachute, but you'll be known as Captain's of the Titanic.

Company has really gone downhill the last few years

Current Employee - GBS
    Current Employee - GBS

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Still some good people left working here - A commitment to provide quality to the customer where possible (Despite lack of tools to do so)

Cons

Where to begin? Do not buy into these rainbow and sunshine planted reviews the last few years. Across the board, the company's treatment of employees has really hit rock bottom. The chase for 2015 EPS target has the company consuming itself to reach this goal which is unattainable save for massive stock buyback and tax code manipulation. Everyone is a number on a spreadsheet these days, and everyone feels it/knows it. While never paradise by any means, the company used to be better to work for (and not that far back in the past either). This company is churning underneath to keep the top execs aloft, but it is getting worse and worse.

Advice to Management

View point needs to move from beyond just this quarter. Long term plans (in so much is possible in IT) need to be put down and stuck to (and I mean real world plans, not EPS target). No one wants to work with us these days as they know that any commitment will be quickly abandoned a few months down the road. EPS target is nothing that you can rally the troops around, and is destroying this company. Oh yes, and zero leadership from the top. The only communication internally seems to be yelling about failure to execute. Hopeless. The CEO needs to go (along with EPS target) and if the Board can't see that, they need to go as well.