There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Get in and get out or stagnate at the pace of inflation (if your lucky)

Current Employee - Program Manager in Hopewell Junction, NY
Current Employee - Program Manager in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Company Reputation. Good 'first job'. Good 'bragging rights'.
Makes you feel special to be an IBMer..

Cons

Workforce is considered disposable. Executive pay is through the roof. The 400 thousand people that 'make it happen' are peripheral.

Benefits continue to be reduced. No longer the 'work here till you die - get a gold watch' corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Share you success with your people. Don't expect to grow 10% year to year EVERY year.

Treat your people like the assets they ARE.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Everything needs a revamp.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM has an incredible amount of projects going on simultaneously which gives prospective employees many different teams that they can apply to. Some require special PhD degrees, other programming jobs hardly require college. The teams work well together and if you're a programmer that's what you'll be doing. They have dedicated translation teams, documentation teams, translation teams, etc that take care of work that isn't really your job.They make it very easy to transfer projects/teams within IBM and it's encouraged which is great for building your skill set. Hours are relatively flexible and managers have a hands-off approach which lets people mind their own business as long as they produce great results.

Cons

Projects can be very boring and feature work can seem extremely useless. Young innovative engineers don't drive IBM's products, rather, corporate executives with little to no programming experience decide what should get done. This leads to a culture where programmers are facepalming, in disbelief how stupid some work will be, while trying to fulfill the management's requests. Developers are very very low on the management chain, so you'll have tons and tons and tons of managers above you preventing employees from raising any real issues, concerns, or advice. The entire development buildings are filled with cubiciles so there is little to NO employee interaction. I only had lunch with teammates on the last day I was there, meanwhile I knew 30 of the interns. The culture is just boring and dry and it's reflected in the projects they tend to create. The company is incredibly frugal, skimping on everything from toilet paper to overpriced food you need to pay big for. They'll count and charge you a lot for every strip of bacon you think about eating. Your first week will have 0 productivity as the company's autorization servers are numerous, slow, etc, and the software they force you to use is absolutely horrible. They made their own email client and its the slowest, most bloated POS I've ever used, which is similar to most of the software they make.

Advice to Management

Fire the management, keep up with silicon valley companies, and bring an innovative young spirit / happiness to the dry ashy company.

Not the career company it was, but then who is?

Former Contractor - Backup and Recovery Specialist in Boulder, CO
    Former Contractor - Backup and Recovery Specialist in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I really liked the rotating shift schedule I was on during my last assignment there.

Cons

Giant cube farm and nobody really socialized much on breaks. Nice people, but something about the schedule or how busy we were kept us to ourselves more than I would have liked. System and procedure documentation was lacking as well.

Advice to Management

Document everything, especially with the turnover you have. If it's not documented, its a rumor!