IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Company downsizing...opportunities limited

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get your feet wet if you are newly graduated from college or have a Masters. People still consider seeing IBM on a resume as a positive. Variety of locations and the company is targeting interns and low cost employees.

Cons

Company is currently in a downsizing mode. Thousands of workers are being fired (Resource Actioned) this quarter. Overall goal is to reduce employee head count worldwide, but especially in the US. Opportunities are limited at this time. Older employees are targeted for the layoffs. The yearly performance review cycle process is bogus and not effective. They rate you based on quotas and in anticipation of the next Resource Action. There have been no raises for a few years and the bonus program is all but eliminated except for a chosen few.

Very little work life balance. You are asked to do more for less. You are doing the work of 2, 3, 4 employees now since head count continues to decrease. Sixty to seventy hour weeks are commonplace, as is weekend work. The even removed the term "work-life balance" and replaced it with "work-life integration" in the charter. There is no respect for the employee anymore, and in fact, that term was also removed from the charter.

Overall, salaries are a bit below industry standards and as mentioned above, there are no raises or even cost of living increases.

The company is on a down swing. Many do not believe it will ever recover. I tell you honestly, this is not the same IBM as we knew 20, 30, 40 years ago. I've been with the company for close to 20 years now, and the changes are striking. I know my time is coming and am making plans to land on my feet when it does.

This section is irrelevant. Management does not care, or listen to, any employee feedback.

12359 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Disappointing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sounds impressive to work for IBM. Used to bleed blue for the company, when the company put the employee and their family first.

Cons

Management is poor at best. Management has created a structure shielding their peers. Company loyalty is to the share holders. Employees are considered a commodity, like livestock.

Get back to the base operational values of the company founders. Your employees will delight you with unbridled enthusiasm and productivity.

Outsourcing sucks

I have been working at IBM

Pros

There are no Cons for the company. 10 years ago I would have felt much different. But these days, the company is not very nice to employees. Average week is 50-60 hrs because you don't your your time zone you have to work your zone as well as India's.

Cons

Management does not support it's members, training is limited and done only on your own time! Look at some other employer...

Without the worker, your not a manager.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM