Company downsizing...opportunities limited

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get your feet wet if you are newly graduated from college or have a Masters. People still consider seeing IBM on a resume as a positive. Variety of locations and the company is targeting interns and low cost employees.

Cons

Company is currently in a downsizing mode. Thousands of workers are being fired (Resource Actioned) this quarter. Overall goal is to reduce employee head count worldwide, but especially in the US. Opportunities are limited at this time. Older employees are targeted for the layoffs. The yearly performance review cycle process is bogus and not effective. They rate you based on quotas and in anticipation of the next Resource Action. There have been no raises for a few years and the bonus program is all but eliminated except for a chosen few. Very little work life balance. You are asked to do more for less. You are doing the work of 2, 3, 4 employees now since head count continues to decrease. Sixty to seventy hour weeks are commonplace, as is weekend work. The even removed the term "work-life balance" and replaced it with "work-life integration" in the charter. There is no respect for the employee anymore, and in fact, that term was also removed from the charter. Overall, salaries are a bit below industry standards and as mentioned above, there are no raises or even cost of living increases. The company is on a down swing. Many do not believe it will ever recover. I tell you honestly, this is not the same IBM as we knew 20, 30, 40 years ago. I've been with the company for close to 20 years now, and the changes are striking. I know my time is coming and am making plans to land on my feet when it does.

Advice to Management

This section is irrelevant. Management does not care, or listen to, any employee feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

It's more about billing hours than doing good work

Current Employee - Certified Consulting I/T Specialist
    Current Employee - Certified Consulting I/T Specialist

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM used to be a good place to work. Those days are long gone. It's good to be a shareholder, however, because earning trump employee well being every time. Employees are simply fungible resources that are forced to contrive ways to bill more hours.

Cons

Meaningful training is scarce to non-existent and on your own time. Overtime is required for exempt employees, even when project needs don't warrant it. If a holiday is on a work day, management expects you to work the following weekend. Raises and bonuses are insultingly small if they happen at all. Reimbursement for home office expenses is lacking.

Advice to Management

Educate your resources, both on IBM products and other skills (programming, project management, SAP, Microsoft, etc.) so they remain competitive. Forecast a 40 hour work week: overtime should be rare and indicative of a problem.

Outsourcing sucks

Pros

There are no Cons for the company. 10 years ago I would have felt much different. But these days, the company is not very nice to employees. Average week is 50-60 hrs because you don't your your time zone you have to work your zone as well as India's.

Cons

Management does not support it's members, training is limited and done only on your own time! Look at some other employer...

Advice to Management

Without the worker, your not a manager.