There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Company downsizing...opportunities limited

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get your feet wet if you are newly graduated from college or have a Masters. People still consider seeing IBM on a resume as a positive. Variety of locations and the company is targeting interns and low cost employees.

Cons

Company is currently in a downsizing mode. Thousands of workers are being fired (Resource Actioned) this quarter. Overall goal is to reduce employee head count worldwide, but especially in the US. Opportunities are limited at this time. Older employees are targeted for the layoffs. The yearly performance review cycle process is bogus and not effective. They rate you based on quotas and in anticipation of the next Resource Action. There have been no raises for a few years and the bonus program is all but eliminated except for a chosen few.

Very little work life balance. You are asked to do more for less. You are doing the work of 2, 3, 4 employees now since head count continues to decrease. Sixty to seventy hour weeks are commonplace, as is weekend work. The even removed the term "work-life balance" and replaced it with "work-life integration" in the charter. There is no respect for the employee anymore, and in fact, that term was also removed from the charter.

Overall, salaries are a bit below industry standards and as mentioned above, there are no raises or even cost of living increases.

The company is on a down swing. Many do not believe it will ever recover. I tell you honestly, this is not the same IBM as we knew 20, 30, 40 years ago. I've been with the company for close to 20 years now, and the changes are striking. I know my time is coming and am making plans to land on my feet when it does.

This section is irrelevant. Management does not care, or listen to, any employee feedback.

reviews filtered by

Hostile, confused, everyone has their own agenda. Everyone's a boss, the most brazen survive for another week or so

Former Employee - R&D in New York, NY
    Former Employee - R&D in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job if you can make it through the day without being RAd

Cons

The inept always end up as managers - promoted to their own level of incompetency. I was a manager before I realized I'd been made a fool of. I voluntarily went back to the working class to do some actual work, lasted 10 yrs only to be RAd 2 yrs ago. Chaotic company, no direction, incessant threats of firings, employees just hang on by their nails day to day. Low-Mid management just follow a director or VP around with a clipboard and do what they're told. Directors and VPs learn big words to use in meetings, and project a very false confidence. Employees treated like children, complete with grade-schoolish report cards from same impudent management. Company has no products. Company has no services. Company has no sales. They do have a few existing support contracts, but they're short lived. The usual number of 10,000-11,000 people fired every 6 months to keep stock price up. US down to ~60k employees. Ginny give's VPs bonuses for mass firings then brags to Wall St they're cutting costs. Execs take HUGE bonuses in one form or another (cash, stock preferences etc). Company incestually buys back own stock every quarter, which jumps 15% for 30 days <-- then they give themselves preferred stock as a reward (Ginny rcvd $60mil in pref stock in Jan of 2014, sold $50mil of it 1 week later - go look at insider trades on NYSE). If you close the end of day without being RAd, you've done well. In the meantime, you'll try to BS your way through another day with nothing to sell, nothing to do, and nothing to accomplish other than bragging "I'm with IBM" - but most fortune 1000's are wise to this mess now. Company I'm with now with tossed IBM altogether last year after a court fight - yes IBM sues their own customers. 15k fired Chinese IBMers are rioting in the streets in early March. IBM is history

Just leave - take your greed and arrogance to the Greek islands and just go. Go buy your yacht and get out of our hair

Disappointing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sounds impressive to work for IBM. Used to bleed blue for the company, when the company put the employee and their family first.

Cons

Management is poor at best. Management has created a structure shielding their peers. Company loyalty is to the share holders. Employees are considered a commodity, like livestock.

Get back to the base operational values of the company founders. Your employees will delight you with unbridled enthusiasm and productivity.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM