IBM

www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Safer than most other areas

I have been working at IBM

Pros

In this era of outsourcing, STG is probably one of the "safer" areas to be in, particularly if you work in an STG area where you develop deliverables that are of a proprietary nature. By this I mean, due to the lack of intellectual property law enforcement in other countries, IBM will typically not outsource any sort of software development that might irreparably harm their bottom line should said product(s) be stolen or pirated (e.g. z/OS).

This doesn't mean that STG is uber-safe, just that certain areas within STG will be less likely to get nailed per my previous reference. Correspondingly, if you happen to be within an organization (e.g. GBS, GTS) where what you do could conceivably be performed remotely or where you could be easily replaced by someone who'll work for slave wages, then IMO it's just a matter of time before the hammer falls.

Cons

STG isn't all that much different from other IBM organizations, though colleagues of mine that made the jump from GTS/GBS say that it is a lot less stressful (less pressure on keeping utilizations absurdly high, more "normal" work weeks than the typical 60-80 hours that they'd been accustomed to). Of course, YMMV, depending on what group you end up in and who your manager is.

Of course this is a pipe dream but it'd be nice if IBM management in general would consider running the company more in the way of values and integrity that Watson had intended, as opposed to running it like a mindless, robotic corporate cost machine.

I realize that in the business climate of today, all corporations pray at the altar of the almighty dollar. It'd be nice though for someone or some entity to take a stand for once and do what's right versus what's most profitable. I don't expect to see this happen in my lifetime, though then again, perhaps this is just a realization of the monster that we've fed and created.

12670 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for IBM