IBM

www.ibm.com

Safer than most other areas

ProsIn this era of outsourcing, STG is probably one of the "safer" areas to be in, particularly if you work in an STG area where you develop deliverables that are of a proprietary nature. By this I mean, due to the lack of intellectual property law enforcement in other countries, IBM will typically not outsource any sort of software development that might irreparably harm their bottom line should said product(s) be stolen or pirated (e.g. z/OS).

This doesn't mean that STG is uber-safe, just that certain areas within STG will be less likely to get nailed per my previous reference. Correspondingly, if you happen to be within an organization (e.g. GBS, GTS) where what you do could conceivably be performed remotely or where you could be easily replaced by someone who'll work for slave wages, then IMO it's just a matter of time before the hammer falls.

ConsSTG isn't all that much different from other IBM organizations, though colleagues of mine that made the jump from GTS/GBS say that it is a lot less stressful (less pressure on keeping utilizations absurdly high, more "normal" work weeks than the typical 60-80 hours that they'd been accustomed to). Of course, YMMV, depending on what group you end up in and who your manager is.

Advice to Senior ManagementOf course this is a pipe dream but it'd be nice if IBM management in general would consider running the company more in the way of values and integrity that Watson had intended, as opposed to running it like a mindless, robotic corporate cost machine.

I realize that in the business climate of today, all corporations pray at the altar of the almighty dollar. It'd be nice though for someone or some entity to take a stand for once and do what's right versus what's most profitable. I don't expect to see this happen in my lifetime, though then again, perhaps this is just a realization of the monster that we've fed and created.

Good learning experience, but very bureaucratic.

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

Pros: It was a great place to work right out of undergrad. I learned a ton and got some… Cons: It is a huge company, and all of the bureaucracy associated with that is present. Advancement… Advice to Senior Management: Reward talent and spend more time developing the brand. IBM is still a computer company in most people's eyes. In… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Constant movement of quota number throughout sales plan year causes short term relationships with customers.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

Pros: Some of the old IBM values are retained by individuals The benefits program is comprehensive but not overly generous. If you can stay… Cons: The software group is broken in to product pillars that cause customer confusion Te rating system… Advice to Senior Management: Catch people doing the right things and praise and reward… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!