Mis-Management at its peak

Former Employee - Consultant
Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at IBM

Pros

Excellent exposure to a wide variety of clients and their business needs Great intranet sites that help you overcome most hurdles

Cons

Poor Management with no concern for good work put in Lack of pro-active customer oriented initiatives thus losing out on potential customers Bad paymasters.

Advice to Management

Like all previous posts, please relook at the number of managers per resource. The hierarchy is too complex to decipher.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Incredible capabilities but US career growth is limited

Former Employee - Partner
    Former Employee - Partner

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM can accomplish amazing things when it puts its collective shoulder to the wheel - applying consulting insight, real original thought leadership from IBM Research and a sales organization that is focused on customer success. When those capabilities are aligned, some real transformative work can be accomplished and can be a "once in a career" opportunity.

Cons

For most situations, IBM has put innovation and business insight off to the side and focused on lowering the cost of service delivery, which means providing more services remotely from India (and where ever else labor arbitrage will lead), less US-based consultants, but more stress on the consultants that remain, increased reliance on sub-contractors and limited opportunities for career growth here in the States. Competing on cost rather than quality increases the risk of "troubled" projects and, with the flat economy, there is no job security at any level.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth to your employees - IBM is global business with little concern about the well being and long term career plans of the US employees. So be it.

The Security Blues

Former Employee - Security Consultant
    Former Employee - Security Consultant

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM hires incredible talent and as a result it provides a great opportunity to learn and collectively grow your technical skills. I can say without hesitation that I am a more knowledgeable and valuable employee because of the the interaction I had with some of the IBM team. I still keep in touch with several of my peers -- both those that have left for other companies and those that still remain with IBM.

Cons

The balance of work and personal life is often lacking in order to meet objectives, make deadlines, and please clients. For some, this trade is acceptable when appropriately compensated financially and through career growth. I found both to be lacking for myself and my peers in general.

Advice to Management

Management continues to lack leadership and direction, resulting in IBM's slow growth in the Information Security market place. Even after the acquisition of Internet Security Systems (ISS), the problems from the old culture propagated into the new. Many of my colleagues, including myself, jumped ship after seeing these issues go unresolved.