IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Opportunity in abundance.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training is available for every topic you may be interested. Opportunity to expand your skill sets in any career path that may interest you.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a little skewed from time to time, but I have discovered that by mentioning my concerns they are typically resolved or alternatives identified to regain that balance.

A little more advance planning can be useful to the general rank and file, and allow for advance worker planning.

12766 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Great Company to work for..

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good management, team work.Able to learn a lot.Fast paced environment.fun company to work with

Cons

Timings..need to be avail 24*7

Disappointing

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training opportunities, company pays for (approved) certifications. Lots of new ideas and products if you can figure out how to get on one of those teams (typically reserved for Ph.D. applicants).

Cons

Pay is about 2/3 national average. Negative politics are common. Unpaid overtime is expected, 10% to 20% at a minimum. That's an extra 1/2 day or more per week lost family time. The Peter Principle is prevalent. Bad managers are kept in place even with literally dozens of complaints against them. Reviews are heavily subjective, and good luck appealing an inaccurate one. Attrition rate is high--100% of my team was looking for another job, a common activity in our center. Tons of talent was allowed to walk out the door and couldn't be talked into staying.

Value employees, move from HR managers to functional managers with a span of no more than 10 to 12 people, recognize that not every job can be routinized and staffed with replaceable robotic employees. Live up to your stated values, especially displaying integrity toward employees.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM