There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Decisions made are driven strictly by financial goals

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has some of the most intelligent and creative people of any company.

Cons

Employees are viewed as liabilities rather than assets.

11915 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Decent people but average work at best.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Been working here for 17 years. I have had a lot of great experiences and a variety of positions and promotions. Through experience I have received a tremendous amount of training and education. The "lower level" employee base are very good people.

Cons

All actions are centered on cost reduction. IBM will not actively support employee development. During "resource actions" (ie - lay offs), employees cannot actually compete for open internal job positions. HR may say that you can - but the approvals to allow it are the extreme rare case. During the MANDATORY Value Jam session all related feedback about treating the employee with respect were ignored. Instead the executive team put forth "Be the wild duck!" as an IBM value. The intent was to foster employees to make necessary changes to cut through IBM's bureaucracy. Unfortunately, this idea is not supported and people would more likely lose their jobs if they strive to follow this value. In the halls this "value" has become a bit of a joke: "Duck You! and Duck off have been heard" as a play on words and a jab at the internal company value communications.
     90% of this company's IT support is made up of contractors who do not have the same stake in the company.

Executives: Prove you care about each person as deeply as you care about your stock options and salary bonuses. One easy way without undo costs is to allow employees to actually compete for jobs internally. Remove the silly restrictions and allow employees to move from one division to another without restraint. Invest in a use-able shadow training program with mentors. What exists now is just a few tools with no real participation or soul.
    Stop with short sighted quarterly actions to address stock price fluctuations. Build the company by showing you care about them. The employees in turn will care about the customers. Right now... it appears that people are just going through the motions. Client First efforts will never work if the company does not actually care about the employees.

My experience working for IBM overall was positive until the end of my employment.

I have been working at IBM (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best aspect of working for IBM was working with a great team of people. My co-workers were knowledgeable, friendly, and took pride in their work. The hours were flexible and this came in handy when I had to take my parents to doctor appointments. The pay was great and the medical benefits were good.

Cons

The base pay was very good but we didn't get raises for five years. The team leads got the raises and big bonuses. There wasn't much room for advancement. The team leads were awarded all the high visibility projects so there wasn't much opportunity to grow your leadership skills.

Management should compensate all contributors because team leads can't get the job done alone. Jobs should not be taken away from Americans and given to less qualified people overseas.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM