There are newer employer reviews for IBM

High stress, high pressure, low reward

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  East Fishkill, NY
Former Employee - Senior Engineer in East Fishkill, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good technology, interesting problems to work on.

Cons

Ratio of demands to rewards is high. Either minimal or zero raises, minimal bonus at best, no profit sharing. Generally high pressure atmosphere at all levels of management. Typical expectation of being online and available at all hours of the day and weekends.

If you're going to expect so much out of people at least compensate them fairly.

11562 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Not bad. Not great.

Current Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The brand is recognizable on a resume. Health benefits are pretty good. There are tons of different types of positions inside the big blue machine. Exposure to many different technologies. They allow some positions to work remotely which greatly helps with "work life balance".

Cons

Pay well below market rate. I'm actually below the bottom range glassdoor shows for my position in my city with 8 years of experience. IBM will always try to pay as little as possible. The only real way to get a nice salary increase is to come to IBM with a competing offer and threaten to leave. I've done this twice. The company is a huge, highly inefficient, mess of bureaucracy but comparable to other mega corps I've worked for. There seems to be very little loyalty towards employees which give little incentive for employees to be loyal. They will attempt to lock you into their proprietary systems. If you don't take time to learn industry standards (outside of IBM standards) you risk being stuck with only company specific knowledge. They decided to hold the 401k match for the entire year. If you are fired, part of a lay off, or you leave you lose this match. The company also gets to earn the interest on that match that the employee should be earning.

A $20 EPS goal at the risk of employee burn out and just flat out canning entire divisions cannot be sustained. Show some more loyalty to employees, pay them what they are worth, and maybe the will return the favor.

Ok a lot of changes this year

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Ok pay. Work from home.

Cons

Too many people work from home results in lower efficiency.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!