There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Durham, NC
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get to work with some very smart and dedicated people

Cons

This company has lost any respect for the people it employs. The company constantly takes away from the employees in search of achieving its stated 2015 target for EPS. In 2013 there were no raises given and in 2014 they did away with any bonuses to the employees that typically work 60 - 80 hours per week. They will lay anybody off no no matter what their performance might be to save money. The morale in this company is very low and everybody is just collecting a paycheck until they get laid off.

Get back to TJ Watson's vision of what is important in IBM. Take care of your customers. Become innovative again by developing something in-house instead of constantly through acquisitions. Reward your employees and provide some stability in the workplace. Get rid of unneeded processes and time wasters.

11617 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Great place to hide

Current Employee - Brand Specialist  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits... I pay nothing for my medical but pay for family, major discounts from partners, free solid financial planning, all the IBM training you want, they teach respect for employees

Cons

Lots of people with more than 20 years just hanging out and dodging bullets

IBM has great R&D and top products and solutions....remove the red tape. Its just too hard to do business with IBM

No longer the place it used to be. Kind of sad, really.

Former Employee - Technical Wizard  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Wizard in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There may still be interesting technical challenges at IBM. I suppose it depends on one's position. I found debugging system and performance issues a wonderful way to spend the day. Always something different and exciting in a nerdy kind of way.

Cons

Unfortunately, IBM is shrinking around the world. There are many reasons for this, and you should do your own due-diligence, whether you are considering a position at IBM or are considering leaving. In general, I have to say I think the company has lost its way. They have certainly lost the computing battle to Amazon's Cloud of WebServices, and they are unlikely to ever catch up. But don't take my word for it -- ask Gartner.
    Following on from this decline is the steady stream of fired employees. Good ones mostly. Not surprising really, the company can't compete as it used to and so must terminate employees. This is all over the world, including India and China as well as America and the UK. So this is not about labour cost -- it's all about failure to thrive. Naturally, the mood in such an environment is depressing. Everyone is waiting to be let go.
      In addition, IBM has dreamed up a ridiculous "RoadMap 2015" now known as "Road Kill 2015" -- where the goal is to have an artificially high share valuation -- at any cost. Might as well mention that the executives are all major share or option holders. Yes, it seems the company is being cannibalized for an arbitrary share price. This is funny-money games, not driving new technology in service of business needs.
      Folks, this company is quite simply no longer the technical giant it once was. I honestly recommend you avoid it. I could go on about management withholding information, giving arbitrary reviews, intentionally hiring many more young people than they need, so they can later lay off both young people and older folks and call it fair -- a very clever and legal way to get rid of 'the oldies' who drive up their medical costs and aren't as 'energetic'. [Never mind that wisdom born of experience trumps enthusiasm every time.]
      So if you are looking for a good technology company to work for, look for a firm deeply committed to Cloud Computing, and let the old dinosaurs die off.

I think it is now impossible to turn IBM around, but if you were to attempt to do so you might:
    1. Get rid of Ginny
    2. Hire a real current technologist to run the firm, not just someone with an engineering degree from 1979.
    3. Collapse the management layers
    4. Forget about trying to hit a share price and instead try to run a truly innovative company.
    5. Re-deploy good people on all those new innovative projects.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!