There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Excellent people, management without conscience or a clue

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are very comprehensive, including work-from-home for many positions. Vacation time is decent and overtime is reasonable (it happens, but not excessively). Colleagues tend to be smart, and low-level management (first and second line) tend to be good.

Cons

IBM has been working as hard as it can for a decade to destroy its internal talent and expertise. Upper management actively suppresses any contrary views or problems from bubbling up the management chain. US workforce has shrunk breathtakingly, there is no career advancement or even lateral movement, reorganizations are *constant*, and education and development is either non-existant or taken away with the next reorg. Massive outsourcing with no care taken for quality of hires. Then there's the constant selling off of divisions (Global Network, Network Services, Hard Drives, PC's, Intel Servers - and that's just during my tenure). New companies are acquired constantly but never integrated into a cohesive whole, leaving a mishmash of overlapping pieces that do nothing to benefit each other; many ultimately decay into nothing and vanish. Strategy shifts constantly, organizations, products, and offerings rename rather than reform or improve. I honestly doubt there will be anything left of this company within a decade.

On a personal level, compensation is significantly below-market. Bonuses (aka "variable pay"; project bonuses disappeared a decade ago) are consistently below 2% even for top performers (annual rating of 2+). Salary increases are non-existant. My gross pay went up less than 3% total over a period of five years, and 70% of my years there increases trailed inflation (i.e., real income dropped).

Come up with a strategy (other than "boost the stock price") and stick with it. Stop re-organizing and laying off divisions. Focus on letting your very-smart people accomplish great things. All of this will be harder as the company shrinks and loses talent through layoffs and attrition.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good company with stable lifestyle, but old-fashioned environment

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Good benefits and stable lifestyle.

Cons

Environment is very traditional and old-fashioned, not many young people where I work.

Hire more young people

2. Okay company

Former Intern - Associate Systems Engineer
    Former Intern - Associate Systems Engineer

I worked at IBM as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Good stable company, you can find help if you need it, good on boarding experience, overall good company culture

Cons

Not a lot of movement in certain departments, you can be left alone for a really long time, can feel like upper management doesn't care about you

There are newer employer reviews for IBM