IBM

Review of a researcher

Current Employee - Co-Op in Hawthorne, NY
Current Employee - Co-Op in Hawthorne, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Excellent work environment. You have your own office. Good cafeteria and onsite gym. Interactions with graduate students intern every summer.

Cons

Most annoying thing is bureaucracy. For every small thing we need to get permission from the management which can take weeks.

Improve the interaction with senior management. Salary is good to start with but should improve more with experience as in other software companies.

12359 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Used to be a Great Place to Further Your Career

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Lots of talented people; great networking; competitive salary and benefits package; lots of free education on line; flexible working conditions including work from home

Cons

You are only a number; you get pigeonholed in an area and it is very hard to move on; education in a classroom setting is very restricted; pennypinching seems to abound (removal of reimbursement for internet access; reduced expense allowed for phone calls; removal of the Thanks award program); always waiting for the next resource action induces a lot of stress.

Treat your resources as people versus just a number who can be discarded; Before outsourcing work, ensure capable workers are available so that the US people left, do not have to spend most of their time 'cleaning up' the mess left behind by untrained, unqualified workers.

Even worse than before

Current Employee - Field Technical Sales Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Field Technical Sales Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Working from home.

The System x Technical sales group is by far the best technical sales team out there. Sadly, I don't think that's going to be true much longer. I have heard that IBM SE's aren't that great, but I think that's true for the other brands, not x86. The x86 SE's at IBM are top-notch.

Cons

Just about everything at this point. IBM was getting to be a terrible place to work about 3 years ago. Now it's unbearable. Almost everyone I know wants to leave.

Fire Sammie. I know this will never happen, but running a company week-by-week, quarter-by-quarter with only Wall Street results as a metric of success is a recipe for 100% complete failure. How do you think Starbucks ended up with 4 coffee shops on a single corner? Longer-term company health is clearly no longer valued at all, not a single bit. This will show, even on Wall St. in the next couple of years.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM