IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Not your parents' IBM

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM offers fair salaries, acceptable benefits, reasonable (but declining) vacation time, and a huge internal network to explore positions. There are some very bright people who work for IBM, and they are an inspiration for what is possible.

Cons

Morale is generally in tatters after years of offshoring and 'Resource Actions' (euphemism for layoffs). My team went from 9 people eventually to 4 with no change in total workload. Reductions only take into account short-term company bottom line, not quality of work that can be produced, and cut decisions happen at such a high level that I've seen very valuable people eliminated.

Culture is often tied up in older ways of doing things ("Because that's how we've always done it!"). New ideas are welcomed, but rarely acted upon, or take years to make even minor changes.

Shifting positions internally is often difficult as employees with seniority tend to just...stay in one position, leaving no room for advancement without drastically shifting teams.

Go back to putting employees first and Wall Street second and you'll end up with a better overall company. The short-term gains of mindless employee reductions are cutting some dead wood, but are also eliminating extremely valuable people who are going to end up working for your competitors and harm IBM on both fronts: the loss of the non-executive thought leadership, and the increase in skills of your competition.

12333 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Too much Politics preventing employees from moving forward

Current Employee - Technical Sales Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, work from home

Cons

stress can come down anytime from management and the politics behind the scenes are beyond anything I've seen working for three previous Fortune 500 companies.

Treat the employees well, and compensate them for their hard work. Stop hiring more and more managers, and decreasing your sales and technical sales force.

Work and People are Just OK

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was above average. I got a nice jump to come here from PwC (where it seemed impossible to get a raise) and a nice raise my first year. My second year I got a promotion with a nice jump too.

Cons

The quality of the people overall was not impressive. I was pretty surprised by this. And they use a lot of subcontractors - also of low quality. Finally, they push all their products as the solution to every problem and these products do not integrate well together.

Clean house of the non-performers

There are newer employer reviews for IBM