IBM
3.2 of 5 10,987 reviews
www.ibm.com Armonk, NY 5000+ Employees

IBM is not the company it once was

ProsGreat People to work with..
Allows for telecommuting although I believe IBM mgt is reversing this trend.
Good Benefits..
For the first 24 years, it was a wonderful place to work.

ConsThere is no longer respect for the individual! IBM Executives and Senior Management are run by Wall Street. IBM is no longer an innovative company. Compare IBM to Apple. Even though IBM has thousands of new patents each year, they produce no game changing or market changing products like Apple (ipod, iphone, etc..) In years past, IBM invented and brought to market great products, sys/360, relational dbs, RISC computing, the hard drive, the pc etc etc..
There is no stability even if you are a top performer. The performance rating system is very subjective and used to manage costs vs. reward top performers. Note: It was not always like this.
Morale of employees is very low. Ask to do more and more with no job security and small to no salary increases.
They do not invest in employee development like they once did.
If you are or were a manager, you are much more protected in IBM. I've witnessed several lesser performers and a few outright incompetent sr managers and execs keep their job when highly skilled, incredibly dedicated employees loose their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the principles that respect for the individual were based on such as integrity, honestly, fairness etc.. I've seen many, many top performers laid off simply to reduce costs or to offshore their job. Provide employees options instead of just laying them off. If Executives and Sr Mgt would explain that the salary cost structure in certain geographies needed to be reduced because of the economy or failure to grow revenue because they do not have the vision or gumption to take risks to invent and take to market new products, then I believe employees would take a significant pay cut, especially if the alternative was to loose their job. Be honest with your employees and show them respect. If you feel that the management is doing such a great job, review the sentiments at http://www.ibmemployee.com/.

Stop managing quarter to quarter and create a strategy to grow top-line revenue organically vs just acquisitions. IBM can still invent and take to market innovative products.

Also, instead of rewarding people that just manage upwards, reward employees that satisfy their customers and actually do the work to meet the business objectives.

IBM is not a place where u can expect growth financial or vertical.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pune (India)

I have been working at IBM

Pros: Good technical exposure Good understanding of how business goes and what can be the impact of a error. Good policies overall, as… Cons: No HR No Manager to talk to to, they are there just for name sake. No importance to individual growth. Complex processes and policies which u can only… Advice to Senior Management: Please talk to the employees, we are humans too..... No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great place if you want a job . . . not much else to say . . .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

Pros: - It looks nice on your resume as the company is recognized worldwide -… Cons: - Way too much red tape, worse than the government, you need to get approval for almost everything - Very spend thrift, this company only cares… Advice to Senior Management: I really feel sorry for first line managers, a lot of the major decisions are out of their control.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.