IBM

www.ibm.com

IBM is not the company it once was

ProsGreat People to work with..
Allows for telecommuting although I believe IBM mgt is reversing this trend.
Good Benefits..
For the first 24 years, it was a wonderful place to work.

ConsThere is no longer respect for the individual! IBM Executives and Senior Management are run by Wall Street. IBM is no longer an innovative company. Compare IBM to Apple. Even though IBM has thousands of new patents each year, they produce no game changing or market changing products like Apple (ipod, iphone, etc..) In years past, IBM invented and brought to market great products, sys/360, relational dbs, RISC computing, the hard drive, the pc etc etc..
There is no stability even if you are a top performer. The performance rating system is very subjective and used to manage costs vs. reward top performers. Note: It was not always like this.
Morale of employees is very low. Ask to do more and more with no job security and small to no salary increases.
They do not invest in employee development like they once did.
If you are or were a manager, you are much more protected in IBM. I've witnessed several lesser performers and a few outright incompetent sr managers and execs keep their job when highly skilled, incredibly dedicated employees loose their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the principles that respect for the individual were based on such as integrity, honestly, fairness etc.. I've seen many, many top performers laid off simply to reduce costs or to offshore their job. Provide employees options instead of just laying them off. If Executives and Sr Mgt would explain that the salary cost structure in certain geographies needed to be reduced because of the economy or failure to grow revenue because they do not have the vision or gumption to take risks to invent and take to market new products, then I believe employees would take a significant pay cut, especially if the alternative was to loose their job. Be honest with your employees and show them respect. If you feel that the management is doing such a great job, review the sentiments at http://www.ibmemployee.com/.

Stop managing quarter to quarter and create a strategy to grow top-line revenue organically vs just acquisitions. IBM can still invent and take to market innovative products.

Also, instead of rewarding people that just manage upwards, reward employees that satisfy their customers and actually do the work to meet the business objectives.

Good place to start but don't plan on long career

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

Pros: Great work life balance. Ability to work from home. Cons: poor compensation. Complexity of the many levels that you work with is… Advice to Senior Management: Show that you value the people who work for this company by… More

From bad to worst

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Campinas, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at IBM

Pros: I good place to start, a novice can learn a… Cons: No work life balance et all. You woke up in the morning with a call regarding some problem; you go to sleep thinking in problems… Advice to Senior Management: Read some basic books about management. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!