12049 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Good Times

Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist
Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunities, wonderful, professional people to work with! Groups are frequently being formed to evaluate and implement new processes, providing many opportunities for change.

Cons

First line managers are in constant flux - ten managers in eight years! Minimal 'continuing education' or skills training. Organizations and functions tend to be limited by silos.

Other Reviews for IBM

IBM was an overall good experience for me.

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Benefits are good. Large educational opportunities.

Cons

I found it hard to avoid cut throat competitive culture within the work force. I think there'd have been a larger amount of work, innovation and imaginative solutions offered by employees had they not been engaged in clamoring to the few top ratings offered. Teams are much more productive when members aren't competing with one another to achieve the same goal.

Observe carefully how managers are leading their departments. Are they leading using fear as a motivator? If so, how could changing that fear climate to one that is less wasteful energetically benefit business? Fear and anxiety are powerful motivators but ultimately contribute to employee discomfort, quashed aspirations and a general sense of unwellness. Joy and peace, on the other hand, permeate effortlessly and energy isn't wasted in that climate. I don't believe it's healthy for anyone to excuse, foster and practice anxiety and fear.

My experience working for IBM overall was positive until the end of my employment.

I have been working at IBM for more than 8 years

Pros

The best aspect of working for IBM was working with a great team of people. My co-workers were knowledgeable, friendly, and took pride in their work. The hours were flexible and this came in handy when I had to take my parents to doctor appointments. The pay was great and the medical benefits were good.

Cons

The base pay was very good but we didn't get raises for five years. The team leads got the raises and big bonuses. There wasn't much room for advancement. The team leads were awarded all the high visibility projects so there wasn't much opportunity to grow your leadership skills.

Management should compensate all contributors because team leads can't get the job done alone. Jobs should not be taken away from Americans and given to less qualified people overseas.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!