There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great opportunity to gain experience in a global, corporate type work atmosphere

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY
Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employees generally take great pride in company. Many opportunities for career exploration (rotating to different positions is encouraged. Opportunities to work abroad. Expansive employee training opportunities. Co-workers generally willing to provide mentoring and help.

Cons

Perhaps lack of office community (although this may be unique to my experience, I enjoyed working from home when possible but there are obvious drawbacks). Workflow can be frustrating, certainly ebbs and flows

reviews filtered by
  1. Great people to work with.

Current Intern - Computer Programmer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Intern - Computer Programmer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay for the location I worked with challenging job tasks to keep my day interesting. Supportive management with opportunity for job growth.

Cons

There really were not any cons or working at IBM. They probably could have used more company outings, but like I said the job was great and paid well with flexible hours.

2. IBM was an overall good experience for me.

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Benefits are good. Large educational opportunities.

Cons

I found it hard to avoid cut throat competitive culture within the work force. I think there'd have been a larger amount of work, innovation and imaginative solutions offered by employees had they not been engaged in clamoring to the few top ratings offered. Teams are much more productive when members aren't competing with one another to achieve the same goal.

Observe carefully how managers are leading their departments. Are they leading using fear as a motivator? If so, how could changing that fear climate to one that is less wasteful energetically benefit business? Fear and anxiety are powerful motivators but ultimately contribute to employee discomfort, quashed aspirations and a general sense of unwellness. Joy and peace, on the other hand, permeate effortlessly and energy isn't wasted in that climate. I don't believe it's healthy for anyone to excuse, foster and practice anxiety and fear.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM