12036 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Great opportunity to gain experience in a global, corporate type work atmosphere

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Employees generally take great pride in company. Many opportunities for career exploration (rotating to different positions is encouraged. Opportunities to work abroad. Expansive employee training opportunities. Co-workers generally willing to provide mentoring and help.

Cons

Perhaps lack of office community (although this may be unique to my experience, I enjoyed working from home when possible but there are obvious drawbacks). Workflow can be frustrating, certainly ebbs and flows

Other Reviews for IBM

Good Times

Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist
    Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunities, wonderful, professional people to work with! Groups are frequently being formed to evaluate and implement new processes, providing many opportunities for change.

Cons

First line managers are in constant flux - ten managers in eight years! Minimal 'continuing education' or skills training. Organizations and functions tend to be limited by silos.

IBM was an overall good experience for me.

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Benefits are good. Large educational opportunities.

Cons

I found it hard to avoid cut throat competitive culture within the work force. I think there'd have been a larger amount of work, innovation and imaginative solutions offered by employees had they not been engaged in clamoring to the few top ratings offered. Teams are much more productive when members aren't competing with one another to achieve the same goal.

Observe carefully how managers are leading their departments. Are they leading using fear as a motivator? If so, how could changing that fear climate to one that is less wasteful energetically benefit business? Fear and anxiety are powerful motivators but ultimately contribute to employee discomfort, quashed aspirations and a general sense of unwellness. Joy and peace, on the other hand, permeate effortlessly and energy isn't wasted in that climate. I don't believe it's healthy for anyone to excuse, foster and practice anxiety and fear.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!