IBM

www.ibm.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to get experience, No longer a place you want to stay for a long time.

Current Employee - IT Specialist
Current Employee - IT Specialist

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to work on state of the art technology.

Cons

Atmosphere - Constantly working under the possibility of re-organization or lay offs.
Work life balance does not exist - Salary employees must work enough hours to cover future vacation/sick/holiday time off.
Minimal or no raises year after year
Benefits are being eroded each year

13225 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Average Compensation & Benefit / Flexible Work Schedule / Bad CEO

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM has flexible work schedule for consultants. You can work from any location. That is very productive.

Cons

No incentive for the employees to work hard for the company. The yearly employee performance review/rating is based on your contributions to the company relative to other employees in your team. That does not make sense to me. My team had very strong results last year and all members in the team have similar contributions, but under the current rating system, there is only a fixed percentage of members who can receive the exceptional rating, which is not fair in my opinion.

Bad CEO, who only knows how to cut costs/employee benefits and does nothing else.

They don't care about moving people up, no salary increases.

Current Employee - Java Development Team Lead in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Java Development Team Lead in Lansing, MI

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM has a good education program, allowing you to take online courses. The projects expose you to differing technologies and experiences. They are a challenge.

Cons

IBM, at least where I am, does not give yearly increases, to my knowledge. They expect you to bill your maximum hours, and do your online education on your own time. There is a lot of bureaucracy. I just earned an MBA in Aug 2013 and applied for internal entry-level consulting positions: everyone I have contacted about those positions has virtually ignored me. There is a large emphasis on the numbers, but little or no emphasis on rewarding a good job.

Concentrate on the customer and service. The numbers will follow. Don't just rely on numbers: talk to people - you are not doing this nearly enough.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM