IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great company

Current Employee - Software Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Software Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great family friendly place to work

Cons

High pace and very high standards

None

12317 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

32 years Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home opportunities and flexible schedule for programmers. Fortune 1000 companies run IBM computers. The world as we know it could not exist without the Mainframe.

Cons

Company is driven solely by Earnings Per Share. The business is a financial house of cards. Employees are considered a commodity and the company is focused on replacing expensive senior skills with inexpensive entry level skills. Major shift of employees from US to overseas since 2000. US headcount has decreased every year and is now 50% of what it was in 2000. US employees are now estimated at less than 20% of the company in 2013. US employees continue to be laid off and furloughed every year even with $99.7B Revenue and $16.4 B Income in 2013. There is no job security and the official policy is average pay. Most US employees have had no raise of any sort in 2-3 years.

Give up the absurd 20xx Road Maps and look to invest in the future. Remember that employees are your most valuable asset, not a commodity. "We have always believed in IBM that our most important asset is our people and so we have followed a basic principle of trying to hire, train and keep the best possible people." TJ Watson, Jr Unfortunately this is no longer true.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Advisory IT Specialist
    Former Employee - Advisory IT Specialist

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to meet a lot of smart people.

Cons

Work Life balance is non existent. All work no life. IBM culture is only earnings per share based so employees are now working out of fear of layoffs. Pay is average but bonus and raises are not keeping up with inflation or cost of living. The new IBM is now utilization based which makes it impossible to have work-life balance since your performance reviews are based on 120% utilization rates. The more vacation you get the more overtime you have to work to make up for it. Should be criminal but there must be a loophole around it.

Listen and implement more employee centric approaches to the overall productivity of the company. You are losing good people by overworking them and not appreciating their work.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM