There are newer employer reviews for IBM

One of thousands

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Product Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Global organization with big focus on emerging markets. On leading edge in many respects especially with Watson. Focus on social business and collaboration. Many opportunities for assignments. Just takes time to make that happen

Cons

Huge company, easier to get lost, hard to navigate, very slow to move. Sales and number driven perhaps at expense of innovation. Hard to navigate at first. Not always open to new and different ideas

Break up into smaller companies

11580 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

My experience so far has been a positive one.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

flexibility, lots of chances to grow within the company, great work life balance program, good insurance and benefit

Cons

Global teams with different time zones, stability issue as resource actions are frequent.

Give people managers more power to have inputs into resource actions and execution planning.

Laid back atmosphere

Current Employee - Operator  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Operator in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my position there are no tight deadlines to speak of. Pretty laid back. Plenty of work to keep my busy, but not a lot of pressure to meet hard deadlines. I come from just the opposite so it's a huge difference for me.

Cons

Lotus Notes is terrible... I feel like it is the mid 90's. It's slow and buggy... I honestly could not stand using it if I was in my previous high pressure (and high email volume) job... Since my role at IBM is pretty laid back the lost productivity just means I get less done... but that's OK.

Required use of Linux as a desktop for anyone with privileged access. I like Linux as a server and like the command line but hate it for desktop OS.

Things can be slow to happen... like getting access to things or policy changes... etc...

Make lotus notes work well, (i.e. be quick, responsive, and not buggy...) or move to a better email client... I can't imagine the lost productivity time multiplied by each of the 400k workers each year...

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!