Not a Good Place!

Current Employee - Delivery Project Executive
Current Employee - Delivery Project Executive

I have been working at IBM

Pros

-Good Benefits -Line workers are fantastic (what's left anyways) -Great experience and IBM name still carries weight -Great 401k and pension if you still have it

Cons

-US Workforce is becoming extinct. IBM flat out does not want many folks left in the USA -Off shore staff is not up to speed nor talented enough to take on what's being lifted and shifted to them. Don't get me wrong I am not trying rip those folks just saying with 13 yrs experience I still have mentors with 20 and 30yrs plus. Those in India simply do not have that and want to follow a script and script only. -Management is poor, direction given is poor and first lines rarely know the business.

Advice to Management

Don't give up on the US workforce. Stop hiding behind the economy as a reason for you doing all this"workload rebalancing" as you like to call it. You can't ask for stimulus money and then layoff US workers. Get your ethics in order, something IBM used to pride itself on.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Tough place to survive

Former Employee - Business Operations Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Business Operations Support Specialist

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM offers a wealth of resources to their employees and the name commands instant respect.

Cons

The company is constantly reorganizing and it can feel like musical chairs trying to know where you fit in the grand sceme. You are always wondering if your job will be eliminated or sent off shore.

Advice to Management

slow the pace of acquitions and allow your employees to settle in to their roles.

2. Great place if you want a job . . . not much else to say . . .

I worked at IBM

Pros

- It looks nice on your resume as the company is recognized worldwide - There are a lot of "potential" opportunities due to the size of the company

Cons

- Way too much red tape, worse than the government, you need to get approval for almost everything - Very spend thrift, this company only cares about the bottom line - IBM is way too big for it's own good - IBM calls itself an innovator but still uses antiquated systems - There is no "company" feel, each employee is a number, literally.

Advice to Management

I really feel sorry for first line managers, a lot of the major decisions are out of their control. I would advise that they work on ensuring that the employees are feeling valued for the work they do.