IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Good days and bad days, mostly bad days....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close to home and flexible hours.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Doesn't look after Contractors.

Look after your Contractors, they work just as hard as permanent staff but don't get any recognition.

12361 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Lost all the Good bits

Former Employee - IT Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A range a different jobs are available The technical people are still very good... But for how much longer

Cons

I took Voluntary redundancy after 25 plus years 1st Qtr 2014. After they asked for volunteers and I said yes please I was told no, we still need you, then 2 weeks later I was told actually you are for the chop! A classic example of the quality of the Mgmt. The package was ok nothing special.

The process is more important that anything else.

Virtually all 2nd line Mgmt and above have next to no technical skills beyond turning on there laptops. The expense constraints are ridiculous and PBC process lost all credibility years ago. However it can potentially effect your career. I was lucky in that I had a really good 1st line for 7 to 8 years but many were not.

Short term results are everything. Things like orders placed THIS WEEK not this quarter even though the various teams are measured quarterly. I saw a colleague roasted alive virtually because an order slipped into the follow week, even though it was the same month and quarter... Madness!

Treat the people with the respect they deserve. It is they who made the company what it is and will most likely have to pick up the pieces when the 2015 roadmap is over and the most senior have taken there bonus/options and run to the hills.
    I don't think for one minute the senior Mgmt will consider this of course

So So

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Good company for starters. Full corporate and burocracy experience. Multicultural environment, casual work environment and mostly young staff

Cons

No benefits for the employees. Salary increase happens only on quitting threats if you are a hard worker. Low education budget. Inside communication not a strong point

They are not interested