IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Solid company diminishing US base

Current Employee - Physical Design Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Physical Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The team members and technical projects available. Although morale has been very low for years the staff and team is great. Continued leadership in technology.

Cons

Work-life balance in order to succeed. IBM has changed dramatically over the years and politics play a major role in career. Technical people should drive technical decisions.

Reduce power point engineers and reward folks for technical accomplishements.

12337 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Ups and downs

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a million things you can do in IBM, and they'll help you learn new skills or give you the opportunity to do something really cool. You really have to make something of it yourself, no one's going to give you anything.

Cons

Politics. So much bureaucracy that you spend 85% of your life dealing with that instead of what's actually important. Management manages to numbers instead of asking, "does this actually matter?". Only business goal is a stock price. They've lost track of what made them great, the people. The culture isn't fun for 95% of IBM, it's all about the dollar.

Star focusing on what made you so successful all those years ago, the people. If you can't retain good people, you're not going to be successful

Limitless potential, lots of roadblocks, tight budgets, constantly reinventing itself.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator (Staff Software Engineer) in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It takes a certain personality to be an IBMer. There are lots of opportunities - on paper they are all about personal development, work/life balance, and giving back to the community. It's up to you to take advantage. There are opportunities to be a rock star or to sit back and float along in a lazy river for the rest of your career.

Focus on customer success.

Looks good on a resume.

Core values are something to be proud of.

Work from home possibilities depending on brand and division and individual management feelings.

Access to Books24x7 is nice.

Cons

Bureaucracy, Bureaucracy, Bureaucracy. Eat your own dog food.

Tight purse strings. Compensation isn't that great. Benefits are lackluster. Tough to get funding if there isn't a direct impact to revenue in the short term.

There is a lot of self paced learning but training for most certifications requires approval and funding.

It takes a certain personality to be an IBMer. It takes a while to be assimilated and internal policies can be exhausting and disheartening.

IBM is a company that you can reinvent yourself, but compensation doesn't keep pace. Fairly easy to move around but unlike moving around between companies, salaries don't increase at a satisfactory rate, even for top performers (consistent PBC ratings of 1 and 2+ [ the ratings are 1 (rainbows consistently shoot out of your rear end), 2+ (you are doing a great job), 2 (you are doing a good job), 3 (we need to talk)).

To me, being an IBMer means getting meaningful work done despite working for IBM. Focusing on customer success is great but there needs to be more investment behind the scenes to keep the innovation coming from within and not solely from acquisitions. It's difficult to innovate without funding.

Benefits suffered in 2013 resulting in 3.7% decrease is take home pay, delayed raises in 2013 means that even after a raise in November (instead of July) and out of band performance raise this spring, I am just now bringing home what I used to in 2012. I am working with my manager to get a better raise this July and if it fails to go through I have multiple offers from other companies that I will turn to instead.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM