IBM

www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Large corporation attempting to transform core businesses in order to lead the next generation of technology.

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Best reasons to work here include opportunity to lead in many technology areas and great educational opportunity.

Cons

Some of the cons of working here are::while data as seen as a natural resource, employees are not. Benefits and opportunity are eroding - be it salary, health benefits, 401k (matching for the year only occurs if still on payroll as of year end, many jobs have moved outside of the US and to employees who have been with the company for less than 5 years.

Determine direction and value employees' contributions. Inspire employees for the future by including in strategic direction and aligning skills to the opportunities.

12744 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Not Much Fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay (as a band 10). Work from home. Largely get to define my own priorities and tasks in support of the overall mission. My manager isn't focused on time in the office as much as on accomplishing objectives, so work schedule varies and is flexible.

Cons

Most of my projects (staff role in global for GTS) seem to go nowhere and don't make a difference to anything important, which isn't what I was hoping to do with my career. It's painful to get things done with so many competing interests and priorities in the company. Problems with employee technology and tools (e.g. cleaning up mail due to ridiculously low email quota, instant messaging and intranet sites not working, etc.) have to be dealt with on personal time (since I'm measured on objectives accomplished, not time in the office).

Holding on to its legacy.

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Tons of different things to do, lots of opportunity, "prestige", work with smart people

Cons

Too big of a place at times, networking means more than performance, "working for free" a lot of the time, hard to find someone that loves their job

Be the change you are trying to make. Be a bit more open to ideas, and try to make the hierarchy a bit less structured. Open up the corporation or you will lose young talent.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM