Great benefits, awkward teams

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Benefits are wonderful. Lots of job security once you're in and doing well. They keep you till your old. Pay is pretty competitive. Team leaders are brilliant people.

Cons

Extremely bureaucratic and political. You work with some developers who aren't the sharpest at their game, but surprisingly no one gets let go. Some code so slowly or use outdated tools it's amazing anything ends up working. Products ship with many deferred defects because some developers can't get their work done.

Advice to Management

Periodically train developers with new technologies or recommend tools to keep them from becoming inefficient.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

This is not a good place to work for in the long run.

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

It was a good place to work when I first started working in 1998. They used to pay for tuition reimbursements and provide professional classes to take every year. The bonuses used to good and was a good environment to work in.

Cons

With the recent job cuts the morals for US employees have gone down. The goal is to get US based employees to below 100K and increase the headcount in India which is already above 90K. Most employees work way too much overtime and most are stressed out. Most people are worried about loosing their jobs. There is no work life balance at IBM. Most people work from home. Most managers are not qualified to be managers and lack the education or certification in Management.

Advice to Management

Management really needs to treat employees like human beings instead of a serial number. I would encourage management to look at the big picture and do what is ethical.

Proud to have worked at IBM, but glad to be out.

Former Employee - Senior I/T Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior I/T Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at IBM

Pros

- Great technical resources available - Opportunity to learn new skills (assuming you get the time) - Ability to work from home - Some great people / colleagues

Cons

- Upper management does not care about anything but profits - Constant restructuring putting you in places you don't want to be. If you like your current role, don't get used to it, because you'll eventually be forced in to another role you don't really want - After almost 4 years of employment, I received no raises even though I was a top performer each year - In constant fear of layoffs. I lost many good friends over the span of numerous resource actions. Some of these people were excellent and highly technically skilled, however they didn't play the politics game as well as the people who were kept. - IBM cares more about the process than the people

Advice to Management

Focus a little less on profits and a lot more on the people who make you those profits. My last year at IBM was awful. Between fear of layoffs and getting pushed in to a role I didn't want to be in, I decided to quit. Its really unfortunate because I was proud to say I worked at IBM and there was so much potential there. I think management needs to realize that they are alienating the people who keep their customers happy.