12012 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Managed by a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for IBM is like working for many different companies, so potentially you can move about and build your career without changing companies.

Cons

Employees taken the burden of what I like to call "IBM Blue Overhead". There are processes, tools, databases by the 1000s. Getting help or support often requires contacting someone in another country. Raises and bonuses are abysmal. They have off-shored so many internal support positions that basically you need to be your own IT help desk, HR partner, and BA. Your first line manager has virtually no control over your salary, raises, bonuses.

Consider the burden your workers pay by your "cost-saving" strategies to offshore so many job functions. This may not show up in your spreadsheet, but it's there and you're burning out the hard-working employees whose jobs you haven't yet cut.

Other Reviews for IBM

Lot of choices to move from one team to another team depending on what you like

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You have the oppurtunity to work from home which is good.

Cons

Lot of work. You need to work for 80 hours every week to get any sort of recognition. Some managers don't appreciate the effort you are putting in. There are job layoffs every year.

A workplace where the truth is seldom spoken or recognized

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many employees are allowed, if not encouraged, to work from home. There is also a long list of discounts that IBMers can access, offered by hotels, retailers, car rental companies, and more.

Cons

There is a narrative at IBM: we have challenges, but they have been identified and we're meeting them effectively. We are on the cusp of being dominant again. Any news, event or opinion that does not conform to or support this narrative is either ignored or contradicted. Executive management spends more time cheerleading than actually leading.

We have problems that you simply refuse to acknowledge. This erodes trust. More importantly, we can't fix problems that we won't even admit exist.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!