There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Managed by a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for IBM is like working for many different companies, so potentially you can move about and build your career without changing companies.

Cons

Employees taken the burden of what I like to call "IBM Blue Overhead". There are processes, tools, databases by the 1000s. Getting help or support often requires contacting someone in another country. Raises and bonuses are abysmal. They have off-shored so many internal support positions that basically you need to be your own IT help desk, HR partner, and BA. Your first line manager has virtually no control over your salary, raises, bonuses.

Consider the burden your workers pay by your "cost-saving" strategies to offshore so many job functions. This may not show up in your spreadsheet, but it's there and you're burning out the hard-working employees whose jobs you haven't yet cut.

11867 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

20 years and gone !

Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked from home successfully for last 12 of my 20 years with the company. Management trusted their employees and supported the work-at-home model.

Cons

I think my story is common at IBM - once you're in your 50s with many years of success and service and making a bit more money, your position is eliminated through re-organization. What's worse, the internal job posting system uses keywords instead of people to sift through internal transfers and applications.

Think about the experience that your more mature employees add to your business. And if the position of a top performing employee is truly being eliminated, try placing them in another position before pushing them out the door.

Came to IBM through an acquisition.

Current Employee - Client Services
    Current Employee - Client Services

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for IBM has been interesting. Some of the great things are the benefits and potential to move between different jobs. There is a lot of opportunity to work with people from many diverse backgrounds. The flexibility of the workday is also very nice for me. I'm not sure if it is like that across the company or just within my area.

Cons

I came to IBM through an acquisition which was very difficult. My previous company had a very specific, "start up" culture that I miss immensely. I feel like everything I try to do now is just met with red tape. It seems through the acquisition management tried to appear to be transparent but it seemed to backfire as they sent so many lengthy emails trying to communicate things, that it no one had time to read and digest everything. Additionally, it felt that no one really cared about us. It was made clear that we are IBM and we need to work a certain way now.

When dealing with acquisitions, try to decrease the number of communications and make the communications that are sent more efficient. Also, try to remember that the companies that are acquired know what they are doing and how to be successful at what they do, don't try to change them to fit into the IBM model, it may not work for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM