Managed by a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for IBM is like working for many different companies, so potentially you can move about and build your career without changing companies.

Cons

Employees taken the burden of what I like to call "IBM Blue Overhead". There are processes, tools, databases by the 1000s. Getting help or support often requires contacting someone in another country. Raises and bonuses are abysmal. They have off-shored so many internal support positions that basically you need to be your own IT help desk, HR partner, and BA. Your first line manager has virtually no control over your salary, raises, bonuses.

Advice to Management

Consider the burden your workers pay by your "cost-saving" strategies to offshore so many job functions. This may not show up in your spreadsheet, but it's there and you're burning out the hard-working employees whose jobs you haven't yet cut.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Struggling

Current Employee - WW Leader
    Current Employee - WW Leader

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand. Impressive consistency for a 100 year old company, nice people.

Cons

Too many layers of management, below average sellers, multiple sales overlays for every software group, cap earnings for sales, poor execution with technology delivery teams. Sadly, IBM isn't where top performers go to work, it's where they go to retire.

Advice to Management

You need some fresh blood. Company hasn't hit their revenue/growth targets in 8 quarters. Everyone mid level and above have been at IBM for 20+ years and know nothing but "the machine" and they are the only ones drinking their own cool-aide.

2. 20 years and gone !

Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked from home successfully for last 12 of my 20 years with the company. Management trusted their employees and supported the work-at-home model.

Cons

I think my story is common at IBM - once you're in your 50s with many years of success and service and making a bit more money, your position is eliminated through re-organization. What's worse, the internal job posting system uses keywords instead of people to sift through internal transfers and applications.

Advice to Management

Think about the experience that your more mature employees add to your business. And if the position of a top performing employee is truly being eliminated, try placing them in another position before pushing them out the door.