IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Struggling

Current Employee - WW Leader
Current Employee - WW Leader

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great brand. Impressive consistency for a 100 year old company, nice people.

Cons

Too many layers of management, below average sellers, multiple sales overlays for every software group, cap earnings for sales, poor execution with technology delivery teams. Sadly, IBM isn't where top performers go to work, it's where they go to retire.

You need some fresh blood. Company hasn't hit their revenue/growth targets in 8 quarters. Everyone mid level and above have been at IBM for 20+ years and know nothing but "the machine" and they are the only ones drinking their own cool-aide.

13176 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

A workplace where the truth is seldom spoken or recognized

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many employees are allowed, if not encouraged, to work from home. There is also a long list of discounts that IBMers can access, offered by hotels, retailers, car rental companies, and more.

Cons

There is a narrative at IBM: we have challenges, but they have been identified and we're meeting them effectively. We are on the cusp of being dominant again. Any news, event or opinion that does not conform to or support this narrative is either ignored or contradicted. Executive management spends more time cheerleading than actually leading.

We have problems that you simply refuse to acknowledge. This erodes trust. More importantly, we can't fix problems that we won't even admit exist.

Lot of choices to move from one team to another team depending on what you like

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You have the oppurtunity to work from home which is good.

Cons

Lot of work. You need to work for 80 hours every week to get any sort of recognition. Some managers don't appreciate the effort you are putting in. There are job layoffs every year.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM